24/96 or 24/192

Hi everybody I am 90% ready buy a Cary 303 cdp. The only thing holding me back is that it does not have the 24/192 upsampling.A friend of mine feels thier is no real difference and that I should make my choice on other factors. Any thoughts Thanks
stereodad

Showing 2 responses by abecollins

I have the new Cary CD-306/200 (not even shown yet on their website). There is a noticable improvement in most cases when I run it in 24/192 mode. Even in 24/96 mode it blew away my MSB Gold Link III DAC that uses 4 24-bit Burr-Brown DAC chips. The Cary 306/200 includes digital inputs so you can use this player as an external DAC for other equipment. I sometimes run my Adcom 5-disc changer through the Cary's DAC's.

I auditioned the Cary 303 but didn't do an actual A/B against the 306 side-by-side. The 306 may have a slight edge with 24/192 but maybe not worth the price difference unless you wanted the added features decscribed above. I could easily live with the Cary 303. I like both Cary models over some other high-end brands.
There's a group of folks on http://AudioAsylum.com who have recently discovered the magic of Cary CD players (inlcuding myself!) One of them just traded in her Sony SCD-777ES SACD player for the Cary 303 and she couldn't be happier.