2020 update : JC Verdier La Platine

A recent encounter with a JC Verdier dealer as well as a recent Audiogon discussion thread led to the start of this thread. He was in my house updating my La Platine which had been in storage for ten years with thread and oil. While he has high regards for the deck, his newer clients nevertheless prefer a Techdas iii than an 'old' La Platine. Given the proliferation of expensive decks in the past dozen years, La Platine has become very much under-appreciated. 

It's clear to me that the influence of the La Platine is everywhere to be found. Specifically, the magnetic suspension system that was employed 30+ years ago. Even SOTA offers their newer decks with mag. lev. features. And if you read this review: https://www.callas-audio.nl/Callas%20Platine%20Mod%20Kit%20Review.pdf, the Continuum Caliburn uses the same concept, which was not acknowledged in Fremer's review, albeit with more sophisticated , and expensive, execution.

It is also clear to me that there is much misunderstanding of the workings of the La Platine. I for one have contributed to this. The motor of the La Platine, for example, has been much maligned. The thread drive is another aspect of the turntable that have been described as inferior. With regard to the motor and thread drive, I have been set straight by Chris @ct0517 and Lyubomir @lbelchev. Experimenting with the different types of silk threads, the tightness to the platter  and a renewed understanding of the soundness of the Philips motor have been rewarded with better dynamics and transparency. 

The funny thing is that during the past two years of re-engagement with audio, I have questioned ownership of every components in my arsenal except the La Platine. It has always been a keeper. I wonder if La Platine owners would contribute to celebrating this 'old' deck with tales, advice, and insights?

Cheers!
ledoux1238

Showing 13 responses by phantom_av

So anyone has a solid experience with Motor Recomendation? Anything that can be purchased. Im still getting Speed fluncutation with the original motor and want to upgrade this. Iv put a 5KG copper Mat on mine. The current motor is struggling so it seems.

So i decided to downgrade my rooms, Actually im oving out from the current property to a smaller one.

As a result i put up some of my Field Coils Speakers, OTL Amps and Pre-amps for sale.

I also put up my SP-10R up for sale which i only spent less than 3 weeks with, I think it is an absuly musical machine ones you put down a 5kg Copper Mat on to the Platter. The sound changes compleatly. It sounds more relaxed and laid back  but with a locked in sound stage.

Having too many machines and its is costing me more on arms and catridges and i need to sell off stuff to fund other hobbies which are not audio related. I love Diving so im taking that on another level now.

Back to Audio, I have ordered 3 Motor System with a sensor lets see how this works., The controller is from Japan and the motor is from korea. Uses a senstor to constantly adjust, i will experiement later once i have relocated to a new room.

Iv not really had time to get into all this for the motor, Iv been wanting to upgrade but find it rather dificult on which ones to choose and now considering if the simple tweeks might be sufficent enough for some SQ upgrade.

Spending 4-5 K just for a motor is not going to happen.

Dereneville Audio to my opinion is not worth the money (5K for a motor!) and i was advised to stay away from it by another Analog fanatic friend of mine.

Stacore stuff is very pricy, MinusK been arround for years and seem to hold better value for money, Stacore seems to market the stuff to audiophile and as a results puts a audiophile price tags on its products.

Can anyone advise on the motor upgrade or where to buy one? Or a Conversion kit to change it to a battery operated?

Btw their are other users of SP10R which are using 3-4KG copper matts for a long time no one ever has reported an issue.

I actually like the SP10R allot and debated with my self constantly on selling the verdier and keeping the SP10R as the speed stability and overall SQ

once the SP10R is setup properly it excell in almost all aspect the bass on the SP10R is the best iv heard and best the verdier many times over.

. However the Verdier has been my oldest table, I have already put on order for the motor, spent allot on the Armboards which is made from copper and stainless steel and already spent allot on the platform and the Solid Wooden blocks made from burl to fit the the whole design interor of my new room.

I cant keep them all otherwise i need more arms and more carts and another phono stage and the cost keeps mounting up. I put in a order for the SP10R after i spent time at a friends house over a long period of getting familer with it so i love the table allot but Technics took so long in the delivery with maltitude of excuses on the production and since its limited it has a better chance of selling than the  verdier hence i let this one go to fund another Hobby of mine in Diving.

The SP10R is a absolute monster, With the right arm, right cart and right armboard and platter Mat it can compete with much higher costing table at a fraction of the price without the hassle of speed stability issues. Its plug and play.

Thats Strange, i was advised by a SP10R user the Copper mats are fine to use his been using his for months now with no issue.

I have about 6 copper Mats the lighters one is too thin, the second in line is a genuine Micro CU180 which sounds very good, the higher you go with the weight the better to my ears the sound gets. This is the same results a few of my friends had none of them have had issues, most people know the motor system on the SP10R is strong enough to handle it.

Anyway i decided to sell of my systems, not only the turntable but the bigger speakers i have and the amplifiers, we basically downgrading to smaller systems now.

I will advise on this forum soon as i have the motor system and setup for the Verdier Table, I need to experiement and make sure the dealer is genuine before i can let others know, if i get scammed i dont want others being scammed too based on my info.

I think the Copper Mat Helps allot, I have not touched the Copper Armboard, its packed now so i dare not experiment on the sound but i am sure the stainless steel and copper armboards will outperform the Alluminum armboards.

The SP10-R I have put up for Sale has the following:

Acoustand Solid Aluminium Plinth in XL Version, which is larger and heavier than the normal one they sell.

I have the Stainless Steel and Pure Copper Arm Boards Fabricated for this plinth which can accommodate any arm you want.

I was using it for about 2 weeks with a Acoustical AXIOM Anniversary Edition Tonearm which is also going up for sale soon.

never once did it feel fatiguing, however at all times i was using a heavy copper mat and heavy record weight.

It is a oustanding Peice of engineering, The Plinth really helps allot. I also have the Glanz Tonearms, Hanna Carts matches very well.

No worries,

Its from Vietnam both motor and controller.

The seller ended up sending me a unit that would not power up. Firstly i asked for the Steel casing he sent me aluminum casing for the motor housing. I was already pissed of about that, second, the motor controller was not working i asked him to send me another one. im still waiting for the controller,

I dont recommend this seller at all, he took the funds really fast kept changing my order, spec and sent me stuff that does not work.

This is why i am not dare to talk about the motor or conroller on here.