2020 update : JC Verdier La Platine

A recent encounter with a JC Verdier dealer as well as a recent Audiogon discussion thread led to the start of this thread. He was in my house updating my La Platine which had been in storage for ten years with thread and oil. While he has high regards for the deck, his newer clients nevertheless prefer a Techdas iii than an 'old' La Platine. Given the proliferation of expensive decks in the past dozen years, La Platine has become very much under-appreciated. 

It's clear to me that the influence of the La Platine is everywhere to be found. Specifically, the magnetic suspension system that was employed 30+ years ago. Even SOTA offers their newer decks with mag. lev. features. And if you read this review: https://www.callas-audio.nl/Callas%20Platine%20Mod%20Kit%20Review.pdf, the Continuum Caliburn uses the same concept, which was not acknowledged in Fremer's review, albeit with more sophisticated , and expensive, execution.

It is also clear to me that there is much misunderstanding of the workings of the La Platine. I for one have contributed to this. The motor of the La Platine, for example, has been much maligned. The thread drive is another aspect of the turntable that have been described as inferior. With regard to the motor and thread drive, I have been set straight by Chris @ct0517 and Lyubomir @lbelchev. Experimenting with the different types of silk threads, the tightness to the platter  and a renewed understanding of the soundness of the Philips motor have been rewarded with better dynamics and transparency. 

The funny thing is that during the past two years of re-engagement with audio, I have questioned ownership of every components in my arsenal except the La Platine. It has always been a keeper. I wonder if La Platine owners would contribute to celebrating this 'old' deck with tales, advice, and insights?

Cheers!
ledoux1238

Showing 3 responses by perart1

A number of people have commented on the various modifications /improvements that can be made to the Verdier Platine. I have had mine since 2001; bought from GT audio UK, the then importer. It has the battery power supply and controller, rehoused motor (6kg), ebony arm boards etc. 
PLINTH:
My understanding is that the plinth for the Verdier platine has undergon three transformations. The first was a concrete/granite aggregate mix, pink in colour that was expensive to make and difficult to produce . This was replaced with a particulate/resin mix that could be produced consistently and was mainly grey in colour. The last itteration was a black MDF (i think) plinth. there is an interesting comment on the original plinth by Keith Ascenbrunner of auditorium23 ( www.auditorium.de).

It is also worth accessing the Audio qualia web site (www.qualia.webb.com) as it goes in to some detail regarding the key parameters for TT plinth materials; especially regarding the relevant damping factors and resonance characteristics. After exploring the webb site it is difficult to justify anyone using slate or MDF for a plinth. You can draw your own conclusions. 
MOTOR:
The motor probably attracts the most comment both positive and negative. With a bit of tweaking some of its presumed weaknesses can be overcome and Callas audio has some suggestions to improve it. (www.callas.audio.nl). A number of people have used the original Terres motor or the one produced by Tom at Glabier audio. I understand that he has reintroduced his latest motor and controller with a new tape belt for the Verdier Platine. I think that it retails at 2,600$. I woid be tempted to modify my motor with a new Drelin pulley and flt belt from Tom. So something for the future.
FEET:
There could be some merit in decoupling the pneumatic feet as you have two springs in the original Verdier; the magnets and the feet. Whatever belt that you use (thread, round rubber or tape) will act on the platter and the springs and disturb its equilibrium. Again Callas Audio has some interesting information and measurements regarding defeating the original feet. It is easy to do by placing some wooden blocks on whch to suspend the plinth and come to you own conclusions. I decided to do the thing properly and had a set of ebony feet made that fit into the recesses made by  the original feet. They were made for me by Magna Audio in the UK (www.fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio) There is a picture on their web site titled 'solid ebony plinth feet'. They have an aluminium insert to take the ss levelling screws in the platter. I have to admit that I am obsessive about levelling the TT. I use a lathe bed precision level that is 30cm long and therefore perfect for the platter. My TT sits on a Symposium ultra platform which in turn is supported by a set of Townshend footers. With the motor housing you have over 70kg to support
PLATTER
There is not a lot you can/need to do with the platter except play with different mats and record clamps. I have tried, felt, cork, glass, carbon, fibreglass, bronze etc., and ended up going back to the original 'lead ' mat. However, Acoustical systems has a modification they call an SDS acrylic plater that sits on the original one and is supposed to dampen and decouple the spindle by using a gel resevoir etc. (www.archer-headshell.de/accessories/sdp) AS have also made arm pods that sit on the plinth of the verdier.
BEARING
Again, Callas audio used to do a Mod Kit for the TT that contained a larger bearing with smaller tollerances than the original and using a different oil to the Rocol ultracut oil as well as a ceramic ball for the top of the bearing. I assume that this will affect the braking that the original oil is supposed to apply to the platter. How this will translate into what you hear i do not know. 

Like most things; the science will give you the data, sometimes the information but only you will decide on its relevance to you.

Regards

Peter Russell

Hi Ledoux1238 and dover

When i bought the Verdier it came complete with GT's modifications so i was unable to compare it with a standard Verdier. However, I did add another GT Verdier with the MDF plinth and the difference was noticable. Precision and detail and impact ,especially on good piano recordings. The motor and battery supply dropped the noise floor with an increase in detail and attack. So, to answer your question, then yes the Granito resin particulate plinth is significantly better than the MDF.

The ebony feet that i had made replaced the pneumatic feet completely. They had a stepped profile to fit the recess in the plinth.

The use of the Townshend pods is a fairly recent addition. Initiated by a discussion with graham tricker who had used a Townshend platform under all his equipment, including his TW TT. He had made thicker plates for the tops of the platforms. We spent some time comparing the diference with and without the platforms. As I had Symposium Ultra platforms unde all my equipment I just went and bought the appropriate pods.  The effect in my system was immediate, with a perception of space and depth to the music. Probably due to the increased isolation and by placing the constrained damping below the platform rather than under the TT plinth.

I probably agree with most of dover's points, but as I bought my Verdier with most of the potential downsides of the Verdier addressed then there was little for me to 'put right'. 

The comment about the bearing is an interesting one. I would agree with the pont made and that the Callas mod kit recognises this (I actually have the kit but not installed). JC Verdier designed his bearing intentionally with larger tollerances than you would expect.He used a specific oil and used it to incorporate a braking effect on the platter. He could certainly have done it differently if he wanted to. Also the original design did not include the steel ball at the top of the bearing on whch the platter can rest. The ball does a couple of things; provides a ground path for vibrationy/energy transfer and makes settling the platter easier. And,  yes, by varying the weight of the platter on the ball it does have an impact on the lower frequencies of the misic.

I think that the verdier is capable of great things; in particular it can be an extremely neutral transducer. It neither adds nor subtracts information. Very few TT do that. Having lived with a Goldmund Reference, Rockport, Garard 301, Well tempered Signature and Simon York S7 in the past I am now happy to live with what i have got.

so happy listening to everyone

ledoux1238

I think that If i felt that i needed to improve the stock motor i would look seriously at the Galibier as it is now in production. You could always fo for the Dereneville!!!!!! The motor of choice on WTBF. (said tongue in cheek). I tried the TW motor and there was little difference to the stock motor.

I think that i bought the last Callas kit and I am not sure that they will be made, and yes i am aware of what the kit is supposed to do. I will install it one of these days just to see. I have not heard of anyone commentating on the 'improvement' it brings. 

I can not think of any turntable that has been in continuous production for so long and not been 'improved' by the manufacturer. Its principles have benn copied and adapted by many.Linn have consistently been 'adding value' to their product over the years. With the advances in materials science and technology Verdier could have made the VP a more effective package. Their nouvelle platine has  had some development work done by auditorium23 with Verdier's involvement and blessing, but with a restriction that it should not be sold outside of Germany.

Peter