2017 Honest Cabling that doesn’t promote bankruptcy

Looking for experiences and recs for current mid to upper mid level cabling solutions

I’m talking about ICs and Speaker cables that do not require plans for high jacking an armored car with a couple gallons of chloroform and a helicopter with a really big magnet?

Neither is it a matter of seeking out an ‘all system’ same brand and model loom, though it could be.

In Your opinion and or experience which signal cables (or mix of) have proven themselves recently to enable a revealing system to maintain or demonstrate its integrity, truth and musicality on its best level?

Or, in other words, With which current line of wires or ‘cables’ would you feel very confident using to connect your upscale stereo outfit in 2017?

New, or pre-owned?

… and why, please?
Thanks so very much. j
blindjim

Showing 16 responses by blindjim

jl35
not real sure what all that means, but thanks anyhow.

jayctoy
OK. I’ll try looking for some links regarding it or them.

erik_squires
Bravo. Making your own contribution to the system is interesting.
wireworld. OK. Its been a decade since I’ve had these spkr cables in house. Perhaps newer versions are better. I wasn’t thrilled then and went with Synergistic Audio instead. Non active cables.

nonoise
Zu Event?
Long winded?

Doubtful. I’m not in the ONLY 140 Characters or less camp. I think it breeds ignorance and miscommunication.

I often wonder about cabling for very high eff spkrs. Is it designed to High eff spkrs to ameliorate or enhance portions of the bandwidth? Is more capacitance included to smooth out the signal’s edges?

Metallurgy in terminations will influence the result.
OK. Zu is a definite maybe.

Oddly, some of the equip I’ve been looking at are not allowing for multiple connectors. Often merely spades. Amps usually. Come to think of it, likely these are all off shore amps.

Helomech
Thank you.
got it. Been there done that. Back in the 60’s. back when wires had no one interested in improving the nature of cables, uh, I mean wires.
I’ve since moved on to cables that actually are better. Sure. Higher cost, but way better sounding.

Et al,

I really do get the idea on wires being just wires.

Experience on the other hand if I am to believe my ears at all or ever, say otherwise.

Taking just the Synergistic Audio active or non active cables exactly alike apart from the active network, actually do sound differently… the active network sounding far more detailed and tangible.

I’ve penned plenty of reviews on these pages of my experiences with cabling. Power cords, IMHO, often make for a more significant change to the sound.

Yeah, it is mostly all about termination, and dielectric, but wires face 4 items they must attend to or with, if they are to be competent and or credible positive additions to a system.
Resistance, inductance, capacitance, and in whole, impedance.

Resistance is not very often the ‘big deal’ in a cable. Capacitance however can well be a ‘big deal’ as it will soften or by too much round off the attack and smother details.

The electrical result of the cable or its impedance will remove or truncate at least, portions of the bandwidth. Rolling off top end, or presenting bottom ends as softer or less extensive.

Naturally, other factors work into such results as well. Not enough power, rooms, etc..

Even in digitalSPDIF , the length of it can become an aid or hinderence.

components as well. Have to be agreeable with upstream or downstream impedance matching from device to device and on to the speaker and amp relationship.

Too many times poorly mated devices whose impedances are not appropriate, allow for a lot of angst and poor remarks about the combinations, amp, speaker, source, preamp, etc., these items ought not to be receiving, were their impedances been matched properly.

And or the cables employed not been the weakest link. Bleaching out the harmonics and erasing the palpability of the instruments and voices can happen. Too brittle or too smooth a presentation is unacceptable as well.

I felt Cardas Neutral Ref as likely a ‘all around’ IC cable as one could find for several years. It worked evwerywhere XLR or SE.

Then I found thru many trials until one got well into the $1K area performance gains across the board often weren’t always possible. Past that point, several grand invested could make an already outstanding system, still more revealatory and enjoyable such as what a Nordost Valhalla PC and a Vermicelli thin SPDIF did in a system I was listening to at a friends home. Together they cost about $5 or $6K. sheesh.

Wires offered for $$2K and above are difficult for me to justify. Regardless. Even above a grand its just tuff to invest it on things which don’t appear to be, or should not be quite so critical to the end result.

I've had succcess with using various cables for this or for that application. I might go to an all the same solution next.

Everything does matter and that includes wires which remain the most contentious and mysterious objects in a sound system.

This hobby continues to amaze.

Sorry I’m late getting back here.
FYI - Wires currently on hand:
Audio Art RCA 1.5M
Harmonic Tech magic link II RCA 1M
Micro Pearl 1.5M
Syn Res Sig 10 Active bi wire spkr cables 21ft.
Syn Res active (?) 15ft bi wire spkr wires.
Syn Res alpha non active 10ft spkr wires
Belkin Gold USB
100ft or so of some highly praised non descript bulk wire for center and surrounds in former main HT array.
Oyieda (?) BNC 1.3M
Gotham 1.5M AES from Links sound card Elrod Sig 3 PC 1.5M
2 Shunyata Taippan Tesla helix PC 1.5M
2 VooDoo GoldDragon
1 Voodoo ref 1M
Voodoo black dragon 1.5M
Nirvana PC 1.5M
Dynamic Research (?) Canadian power cable co. – very stiff and heavy for its size, clean and neutral sounding. Appox $100 - $125

Some are in this rig or that. Some are simply sitting around waiting for jobs.

The number of new or since ’09 models is staggering. So are their prices in most cases. Some no longer exist.

iIm leaning on lists from here and well redarded audiophile mags. None of the interesting wires I feel I’d want to interview exceed $2K. most are under $1K.

Crystal and Siltech seem very good candidates to begin with as does the newer AQ wires. Some others I’ve forgotten but are elsewhere in my notes.

Thanks a lot. Really.
AQ never did it for me when I was building my last arrangement. The press now says otherwise. They will have to be checked out very likely.

maurice1937
THX

Jayctoy
Tanks.
+ 2 for Clear day, huh? Hmmm.

Joe B
“Don't drive yourself nuts”
Its too late.

mani-2
Tanks.

boxer12
finding pearls in cabling is not terribly hard, just time consuming. Especially if you are as pedantic as myself….. at times.

listener57
Both companies play well with tubes and solid state, and offer other options and prices depending on your own systems and preferences. .

Tanks. OK. Right there is the foreboding issue giving me pause.
I’ve not fully decided on which way to go yet with some of the source paths or power amp. Speakers too are yet a large dark question mark.

Keeping my line stage pre the amp would need to accommodate SE inputs but adapters can work very well if only XLR ins are the only option.

I’ve got a very decent set of SA Sig 10 active spkr cables which I believe I’ll have SA cut down to shorter lengths from the current 21ft. as Bi wires, perhaps even reconfigure and re-terminate them… after landing on an amp & speaker combo..

These Sig 10s have proven themselves as neutral and quite complimentary cables regardless the amp or speakers.

jmac7
no sense in paying for what you can not realize. Tanks.

phillipsus
Been there. Done that.
I have to disagree in some cases.

A - B anything is problematical apart from sources connected thru the same reamp or network, which can retrieve the exact same audio info, immediately. Cables like components are different once moved, de energized, then re-inserted and power up again.a primary issue is with sonic memory, then re-establishing the exact same operating temps, signal flow and quantifying the disparity (s) objectively.

Its no real wonder why one cable or some other being slipped in and out of a system can right off sound very similar.

Its also why every system I’ve ever owned or previewed, sounded better after working for 30 to 60 mins, instead of right after a 10 or 20 min no load warm up.

Its also why borrowing cables for very brief periods is nothing much beyond being like watching a two minute movie trailer or watching 30 seconds of scenes from next weeks TV episode..

Moving up the cable ladder takes a lot of familiarity with your own rig, and a very open mind.

knownothing
thank you very much for the option.
I did retain some of my last system’s cables which have sat idle for so long even these will sound unfamiliar to me going forward.
So, my best response will be, we’ll see.

jgandy
been there. Done them too. Not a good fit for what I had back then. Worked oK in my receiver based Bedroom HT sys.

geoffkait
you had me going until I saw the Navy thingy. Sorry. Its going to be a philosophical thing that prevents me from going down that road… but thanks very much for the heads up.

bumperdoo
that was insightful. THX
I’m just trying to catch up not having been in the ‘loop’ for some time.
I’ve some experience with isoalation and good amp stands and so forth do go a long ways with every component.

Mine will be almost entirely isolated into another space from the speakers or listening area.

pops
more or less, I’m fully on board with your idea.
The problem as I see it is having a known quantity at some point with wires. Even placing an IC into source to per, from pre to amp can alter things substantially.
But I’d thereafter not revert to a configuration which lessened the outcome. Regardless. I’d simply sell the wires I’m not digging in my rig, IF trickling them down into another system was a poor notion.
Trickle first, sell after, when possible.

schubert
I believe I have several of these cables already. Not bad at all. IMHO.

erik_squires
appreciate it greatly.

tablejockey
yep. Getting reacquainted with FAT wire is on the list of things to do. Tanks.

safebelayer
Cardass NR = brightness? It was never my experience and I at one time had NRs from source to amp as XLR in an all BAT power train.
Tanks for another plus to Clear Day.

cycles2
that’s interesting. Did you have a full set of Syn res wires previously, front to back?
I did. I found it outstanding, though not the upmost in every aspect. Naturally, this was 7 or 8 years ago and before the insanity of the Galileo grounding blocks, needing an engineer to connect it all, and now their Atmosphere wires with interchangeable ‘mood rings’.
However, the ‘mood ring wires are of interest and have found a slot into definite possibilities as certain maybes..

One thought does pester me…. When one reads the reviews on ultra high end gear the idea comes to mind that folks who possess systems new housing could have been bought with instead, ought to be able to have what ever cabling they choose, why did they spend whatever on this one or that one, or all of one brand to connect their arrangements?

I know a few very wealthy people. Spending money is not ordinarily their ambition, saving money seems to be however.

Sure, some items therein might be on everlasting no time limit trials. Some could be sheerly ‘accomodations’ at no charge just to get the perennial press as a part of the ‘sidebar’.
But one has to consider this…
Very expensive systems reviewers use as baselines are not owned by dummies. Likely not foolish people at all.

So it begs the question, ‘if its all about the components and not the wires, why are not so and so, Blue Jean, or el cheapo wires the inter connects, and speaker cables rather than what is indeed present??’

If the answer is ‘its all about advertising!’ I’ve obviously gone deaf, dumb, and acceptably insane.
So many options, so little time.
Its interesting, regardless.

cycles2 > Yes, over the years I always had a full loom of matching SR cables & typically purchased their most costly model starting years ago with the Tesla Apex series, then Element CTS and most recently the Atmosphere Level 4 line.

Blindjim > my first cable purchase was entry level spkr wires in active config. They arrived non active. Did not want to mess with sending them back and waiting what ever time, and just kept them with a rebate from the cost diffs. Still got them.

Since SR went to their Apex lines and beyond, I’ve lost interest in SR. Too expensive, and too complicated. Amd too many other ‘necessary’ add ons to make existing cabling better.

Would have been OK if all of the SR cabling had been improved upon, but it appeared to me, only the $1K and up stuff got better. Reportedly.
Mostly, it merely got different.

Apex: It/they did not mate well with former SR ICs and why I sold my Resolution reference ICs which IMO, were the best pre to amp links I’ve had yet. Even had SR rewire them to SE from XLR when I made a system change. I liked ‘em that much.

Following the RR exodus, the best mix were Shunyata Altare $2K MSRP or so… and a pair of Nirvana SX Ltd… and the SA sig 10 active spkr wires. In that order.

I’ll look into HT Links first, probably. Maybe, they’ve gotten better at imaging and bass. The IIs ain’t bad, but I’ve heard better, for better money, of course.

Pops > pops > Trickle first, sell after, when possible.
I am currently using a loom of Kubala-Sosna Fascination, IC’s, SC and PC’s. They are a very solid match to my system which includes Thiel speakers.
I seem to remember you had MIT’s for a while. I have owned and tried a ton of those...

Blindjim > yep. Had MIT Magnum 3 as source cable to line stage pre. Always wanted the MIT Mag 1s. never did get ‘em. Adding more MITs was not the answer for me. It bleached out the sound too much.

When the SR Resolution Ref left, I added in Harmonic Tech’s Magic lnik II as power line IC.

Kubala always interested me. For about a minute. Seeing the preice tags blew me away immediately. Oil well.

Upper end audio equipment buying and or trying is like sleeping with a celebrity. Until you have done it, you only have the fantasy. Once done, it might just be the fantasy was better than the actual experience.
Results vary greatly.

I’m seriously inclined to go with an ‘all one brand’ harness this tmie around. PCs, however, have proven vividly, mixing there can really get some interesting outcomes.

We’ll see.

cycles2 > SR will continually introduce new technologies & tell us why it's so much better than last year's model they raved about.

Blindjim > that seems a constant among all the makers of audio gear despite the fat their position on their latest SOTA gear is the best yet.

It’s the law. They have to.

Too bad some items in audioland are so ‘mercurial’. Especially cabling.

Pops > more or less, I’m fully on board with your idea.
I am currently using a loom of Kubala-Sosna Fascination, IC’s, SC and PC’s. They are a very solid match to my system which includes Thiel speakers. I have had them about 3 years and have craved to upgrade to the Emotion level. And there I go again - trying to get into 4 figure cables again. Since I retired recently they are just a little pricey for me
I seem to remember you had MIT’s for a while. I have owned and tried a ton of those...
have you tried KS cables. Full bodied with nice tonal balance -

Blindjim > thanks all so far.
I’ll try this again. As my last reply did not get posted.

RE MIT cables IMO work well here or there but not front to back. They ‘bleached’ the sound when too many were in the chain.

RE KS cables. Full bodied with nice tonal balance –
They also demand fat wads of cash. Its highly doubtful I’ll land in KS world anytime soon.

There are only a few ultra high end wires which I believe I’ll try, once the spkrs and amp (s) land here. I’m also inclined to see what happens when one brand is inserted throughout, albeit, maybe not the exact same model, or maybe even then.

I simply despise the prospect of spending $10K or more and likely a bunch more, on freakin’ ICs and spkr wires!!

I do indeed get the notion cables matter. More than a little. But, If there is insanity in this hobby, it is spending multiple thousands on cables. Especially, if its just on one link in the chain!!!!! Wow.

That said, I still have enough PCs for example, which totaled well into the thousands in MSRPs and roughly half that in real costs. Yet, the outlay was/is substantial… and OMG, going forward it will be once again. .

Deep apologies to all. Been busy with Drs and life in general.

Blindjim > Toddverrone > thanks much. DIY is pretty much off my table. I’d have no one to yell at if I did not like ‘em.

4425 > AQ Niagara ICs

Blindjim > something massive must have happened in the past five years with AQ. Back then, their popularity was slim, and slimmer.

Milpai > You have so many cable on hand. Why not get the Clear Day cables and give them a shot? As of now have you shortlisted the final 3?

Blind… > perhaps I will. Short list: Morrow; Cardas: Nordost: Shunyata: HT; Crystal.

hifiman5 > clear day trial period.

Blind… > that’s helpful and actually a near ‘must’ with wires

Facten > Silnote Audio ICs, Clear Day Cable SCs, Audio Art Cable PCs

Blind… > I’m hoping there is significant disparity amonst those choices. I’ve got some AA ICs and must say they are a ‘value’ oriented cable. Not near middle or upper end performance. HT , or second system use IMO.

tom_hankins > Look no further than Signalcable.com or the musicdirect.com Audioquest Colorado or Columbia close out deals. All very good.

Blind… > AQ again. Its becoming

hifiman5 > If they still have them, go for the Colorado. Much better bass impact. I tried both!

Blind.. > its official now, AQ has to be on my list.

hifiman5 > My entire system is interconnected with Colorados. Nice.

Blind… > Cool.

Lostnamerica > I am going to side with nonoise referring to the Zu Audio cable. Best wishes

Blind… > thanks

Rotaries > when you need clarity without harshness - Mogami wire 2549, 2534, 2528, etc Wireworld ICs would be a couple of notches higher in SQ than a similarly priced Audioquest cable IMO. I also think Signal Cable is great value for money and leaves little to be desired.

Blind… > huge thanks. Very helpful.

Dlcockrum > active shielding….

Blind… > great post. With SR there is no doubt a better level of performance with active cabling. Unquestionably.
FWIW, on the other side of the same coin, there are cables without active shielding that perform incredibly well too.
Given the option I’d choose NOT to have more crap to plug into the wall.

wolf_garcia > morrow…

blind…. > excellent.

Savdllc > do your research. AQ is our default.

Blind… check!! Many thanks David. Really.

wolf_garcia > more on morrow

blindjim > lol. I saved your post.

Looks like I’m being forced to at least try the AQ offerings.

I’d like to know, what or which source to preamp ICs deliver the pin point imaging and honest revalation the MIT Magnum ICs provide, but without the bleaching of the tones?

I’ve heard in limited application, the Valhalla (not the v2)but I’m not sold on that level of investment to performance ratio at the moment. I also s thoughd ig that level PC, but again, the cost astounds me.

One specific cable I’m very curious about is the new to me, “Clear” from Cardas, and its iterations.

On the previous Cardas neutral Reference IC as main ICs, I loved the performance to cost relationship, though it did not do too well on the lower registers IMHO.

are the Cardas CLEAR line and the previous Cardas NEUTRAL REF at all similar?

Geoffkait > Morrow controls the manufacturing process of their cables to the extent that the wire grain structure is correctly oriented

Blindjim > I am pretty sure they use a funnel.

Jayctoy > take notes…. recommend ? Teo GC, CT cables, and Reveal high fidelity,

Blindjim > been there done that. See my reviews on inter connects, power cords, etc. agreed. Start somewhere in the middle of whatever appeals to you, and or find someone who has similar system and tastes. Then start where they are but for sure its always gonna be a Missouriboat ride, “show me” thing.

Ebm > I like Purist and Furutech for built quality and sound…

Blindjim > Never got around to trying purist, or furitek. Did think about it a lot though. Just didn’t work out in time.

wolf_garcia > From the Morrow website: Tom Morrow uses the famous "Schmekerman 500" electron path determinizer at the exit point of the modified noodle extruder output nozzles to insure proper directionality. The silver coating has a "direction sniffing" chemical added in during the smelting process that allows it to follow the copper's lead and burns off when setting up, allowing for purity in both thought and action…a rare thing. Hense all Morrow cables are directional, and if used in the wrong direction can cause phase anomalies that will make the listener feel itchy.

Blindjim >
Well, it could be a sock, but I was guessing it was a funnel. Maybe they use a colander first to get rid of the bigger meaner grains. But then a sock would work in a pinch.

randy-11 > for ICs - use balanced XLR cables on your balanced components; if you don't have such components buy them (and avoid components that are not properly engineered next time)

blindjim > Rut Ro. The only reason balanced cables exist is because their makers did not want to put in the best stuff so they had to put in twice as much decent stuff to compensate. lol

geoffkait > What makes it particularly funny, at least to me, is that electrons aren’t really involved. Not for the audio signal, anyway.

Blindjim > Electrons are Not involved? Call Bill Nye. If there were no electrons, your pants would not stay up… and ‘No’ electrons are not slang for ‘belt’. lol

Inna > Try Purist, Echole, Stage III and HB cable design cables. Least expensive current Purist to try is probably Poseidon.

Blindjim > thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated.

randy-11 > blindjim - you have a fundamental misunderstanding of electronics

blindjim > Correct! Its served me very well for many years. the only fundamental truth I seldom misunderstand is the one concerning the asking price and the price I have to pay. Neverhas the price I want to pay, the same as the price I'm told i must pay for them or it.
it seems very complicated at first. after you buy the first piece, you're obliged to hide your shame and guilt, and keep buying tickets for the train ride.

the only real trick I've found is if you need more PRAT in your system, the speaker wires need to run downhill all the way to the spkr terminals. or at least put a chair in the way so the last part of the trip is all down hill. Trust me. its magical!!

Inna > the most popular current Purist cable is Neptune fluid. About $1300 for 1M RCAs pair. Poseidon fluid is about half the price.

Blindjim > thanks a lot. By the time I get around to trying them, they’ll double in price! Lol.
For me, its how well they either compliment the array, or assist it, usually the latter. A fascinating thing I’ve noticed in audio gear is no matter what the the item. Wires, components, or even racks and isolation gizmos, every freakin’ maker of what ever places a price tag on it generally commensurate with the level of performance it brings to the system. Sometimes, it is far, far, too over valued. In other words, some makers are simply way to proud of their equipment.

The only way I can read the price list for Nordost odin cables is when I’m already at the Emergency Room or at least have an ambulance standing by in the driveway. OMG. $29k? UNREAL.

Jayctoy > I think synergistics and other cable company they have cables worth more than 45k ...

Blindjim > if they don’t yet, give ‘em another iteration or two. They will.

Inna > I think, Stealth has something like $70k cable..
There is the newest Purist power cord with built-in conditioner for $15k msrp, realistic price is significantly lower. Many who tried it swear that it is totally at a different level than any other Purist power cord. I don't want to audition it, what if they are right?

Blindjim > OMG. well… I stand corrected, and am currently without something to restart my heart with so I’ll just not look in those directions.

Fsonicsmith > Please help me. I am relatively new over here having recently given up on audioasylum

Blindjim > I doubt anyone here will hold that aginst you.

Fsonicsmith > are you joking half the time, all of the time, or none of the time?

Blindjim > Please… don’t confuse me with someone that actually matters. I’m nothing and nobody. I DO NOT wear a crash helmet or have my mane pinned to my shirt. Well, not anymore since the operation.

Neither am I an OCD poster. Actually, I’ve learned far more from people on this site and some local folks in my area which has brought me up to speed far more credibly than were I left o my own devices. So I reiterate and regurgitate those things, and my experiences and work history that might be meaningful for some one else. That is, IF I run across it. I don’t ever seek out opportunities to voice . my thoughts just to be adding on or bolstering my post counts. I don’t know it all and am glad of it. Less pressure that way.

Some like being a big fish in a little pond, or try to be a big fish in a really big pond so they might migrate from one related site to another now and then.

There are indeed really big fish in the ocean and some add their exp here occasionally. That part is great. Unquestionably. its an aide for everyone.

My legit stuff is legit, and the lampooning stuff is where one has the choice to laugh ignore it or be a jerk and post something derogatory about it.

I add in an instance for levity here and there to keep myself from sheer boredom like the ‘chair so electrons can run downhill’ noise. BTW, that was not originally mine. I stole it from another poster here who wrote it some years back. Gravity luckily has no untoward affectation on electrons. Capt. Kirk would have been very disappointed if it did.

Whitestix > Modestly priced Silnote and Shunyata PC's and IC's offered significant SQ improvements over Blue Jeans and Morrow cabling in my systems.

Blindjim > Hmmm. Thanks for the experiences with wires in your system. Esp the thoughts on BJ and Morrow.

Enter your text ...

« First
    ‹ Prev

AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Pinterest
More to discover

Honest Vintage Tube Repair - SoCal
    Equipment Grading Honesty
    Most Honest Audio Magazine?
    Be honest please
    2017 Honest Cabling that doesn’t prom...

Convert?fit=crop&h=80&policy=eyjlehbpcnkioje1mdewmjgxmzksimnhbgwiolsicmvhzcisimnvbnzlcnqixx0%3d&rotate=exif&signature=a6adf96600227f55e2172f7bdb19de16029e1a5245e5921cfed91148fddae7cf&w=80
Purist Audio Design Canorus 15 amp Power Cord
Praesto Rev. 1.5 Meter.
Convert?fit=crop&h=80&policy=eyjlehbpcnkioje1mdewmjgxmzksimnhbgwiolsicmvhzcisimnvbnzlcnqixx0%3d&rotate=exif&signature=a6adf96600227f55e2172f7bdb19de16029e1a5245e5921cfed91148fddae7cf&w=80
AMAZING TESTIMONIAL! Morrow Audio MAP-1
60 Day Returns
Component of The Year Award Silnote Audio GL Reference Power Cryo
Wattgate 1m World Class Excellent Reviews
© 2017 Audiogon.com

Contact Us
    Help
    Terms of Use
    Guidelines

Hi all,

Can someone tell me about the new line up of Shunyata cables?

what is that 'triton' biz all about?

Who’s the entry point, in their ICs and PCs, and who is on top now?

Do they still make something like their VX series? The ones that had all the beads inside that sounded like rain sticks when you picked them up.

Also I would like to know what model or version supplanted the Tappan Helix Alpha Power cord? Was it phased out?

Whart > Ideally, the cables should be neutral, as should the components, but the reality, in my experience, is that different components sound different, and when combined with other components - the very nature of a system-- the results may vary.

Blindjim > its not that they ‘may’ vary, it is that results ‘will’ vary. Unquestionably.

Leaning heavily on ‘synergy’ helps. Infusing cabling however into the mix is the greatest aggravation in this past time IMO.

Whart > In 1973, it was pretty much zip cord and there was no high grade interconnect being marketed

Blindjim > in the ‘70s and into the ‘80s I was an electronics communication technician. or commercial electrician. Stereo’s then used $2 RCA connections…. And lamp wires for speaker cables. Only a knife and screw driver was needed to get a stereo hooked to a pair of speakers.

They had the all in one inspiration everywhere. Phono, tape, tuner, an the obligatory AUX input for a reel to reel deck.

Power cords were migratory only if the dog chewed off the one already attached.

It always amazed me how a dog could do that and survive.

Whart > If you are still up in the air about what amp and speaker choices you are making.. wait on wires.

Blindjim > check. So the Cable Co. is still alive and well? Cool.
Only decision made thus far is to go more mainstream instead of low power and High Eff spkrs for the main rig. Lower tube power and High Eff spkrs is the aim for a secondary office deal. Likely, Push Pull, EL 34 based. < 100wpc. Stand mount spkrs.

And the main room spkrs will have to be more low power friendly than those I’ve been admiring which mostly fall into the 4 ohm 90db or so realm.
Short list wires are AQ, Nordost, Shunyata, Wireworld, Cardas, HT, and Crystal. Maybe Morrow or Audience.

I would still love to know what happened to the Sunyata Taipan helix alpha pc. Which one is it now? Which one is the Python equivalent? Any input on their new lines would be appreciated.
Grannyring > best wire I have heard, is the Duelund bulk stranded copper in oil impregnated cotton.

Blindjim > OK.
A few Q’s….
What covers the oil impregnated cotton to make it safe to use as a conductor?

Can these things be considered ‘shielded?

Essentially, are they both as revelatory neutral and transparent to the signal apart from one with more weightiness and one more active??

Have you ever ran double runs of this wire as spkr wire in any AWG size?

Exactly where do we buy these wires?

Thanks, Jim

Grannyring > I like the Duelund and love the Western Electric NOS wire which the Duelund wire was fashioned after.

Blindjim > very cool. THX. Given the costs, It’s a no brainer to at least try this stuff.

mitch2 > Jim, I would not use the Duelund wire to make power cords but the cotton covering should be fine when using the wire as ICs or SCs.

Blindjim > huge THX!
yeah. I was a bit confused on that ‘in oil’ part. Both sides of my brain were about to walk off ten paces at dawn and …. Then I suddenly remembered I’ve gotta buy the ‘spensive power cords.
I’m pretty sure it’s the law.

I think I’ve seen these same wires in some military tube based PA systems and later on in the commercial electrical field within older house wirings.

It would be cool too to have spkr wires in my fav color.

I wonder if they would do some in paisley?

I’ve archived these last few notes so maybe I’ll make some progress. At least obtain a base line for further comparisons.

I will indeed flip out if these things out run my Synergistic active spkr bi wires.

I agree one should or must know their system well and know what they are trying to improve upon, or simply alter.

I followed some advice here long ago and began with Power cords. Sure, I bought some quite popular ICs and spkr wires too, but sure as heck did not want to.

With only basic mostly entry level cables, stock power cords, etc., I began to notice things were changing as each PC replaced the OEm PCs. Sometimes for the better, sometimes not. I filtered thru a lot of them! The Cable Co or back then called “Fat Wire” and I were in contact almost weekly. (see archived reviews of cables I’ve posted here)

With connecting cables things were slightly different. They all matter so which way you approach them is neither good or bad. Spkr wires first? OK… go there. I did. Again, with tons of input. I found a set priced right for me and bought them. Priced right for me means what I can’t afford, and then add 25% or more. Often, more. Neutrality in spkr wires was the theme and they remained even though all else were exchanged, replaced bought again, exchanged, and replaced again!

Probably one item aided me immensely in chosing ICs. Power line conditioning. I prefer passive, not active. Adding one, then a different kind, and then another and finally a step up in performance and price unit, all helped a lot. Albeit, the Running Springs haley was the last one added and that was well after all of the wire selections were made. Almost.

It is easier to pick and chose wires when the grundge is being swept off the power line and making it easier to hear the devices. A good argument for begining with PLCs could well be made.

Wires too are device dependant. Unless…. One wants to go “same + same” front to back, though I would say my EXP indicates get into the middle of a line or higher to start adding in the same cabling every where.

I found great results with mixing various brands and models in the past. Almost none of those are now current cables… so I’m starting over from scratch, almost.

A funny thing happens with cables, and components. Once I’ve found a particular sound I enjoy. A particular level of resolution and detail. Sufficient transparency. I will thereafter attempt to regather what ever devices or system to that same level of sonic purity again and again. I find this exceptionally humorus. It is nigh on to impossible, but we must all have some readily identifiable trait of mild insanity or they throw us out of the club. And yes… it’s the law.

All of this would be so simple if preamps came with tone controls… yes. That is audionervosa heresy. Super. Burn me at the stake. I’ll bring the lighter fluid.

I’m all in on the ‘no tone’ controls epidemic. Finally. …and no, I don’t use wires to adjust the tone. That’s what tubes are for!! OK.. OK… I’ll bring the matches too.

I know me and achieving the inth degree of transparency, detail, and so forth is not my usual tact. I could care less to know what color socks a musician or singer is wearing. Or if they have on underwear. Besides, we all know musicians and singers go ‘commando’ most of the time anyhow.

I settle for or stop at about the same spot I do with gear. Right at or just into, the point where any further into the rabbit hole begins to shed the involvement and fun from the session. When stuff begins to get bleached out. Its all leading edges and dynamics, we have sadly, departed from reality.

Music for me does have color. Timber and tone some would say. But it comes off as color when you must describe it.

I want the music system I possess to provide enough truth when its playing that it makes me want to yank out my virtual audtograph pad and ask for a virtual autograph from one of the performers. . which one? Well the prettiest one of course. Or possibly the one I feel I might get luckiest with after they’ve had a bottle of Beam’s choice or mescal. Nope. I ain’t buying it, but I will pour it for her. When she no longer can of course. After all, I’m no heathen.

I’ve drank with performers before. Most of the time I’d as soon not. Getting to know one better, might destroy one’s image of them.

The feed back here is outstanding and opens many doors I’d never have thought of alone.

dragon_vibe > Neotech Cables both Interconnects and Power is highly recommended.

Blindjim > thank you. would you mind adding more clarity as to the sonics they affect and or how they present the audio?

Trombonist > Richard gave me a quick historical/chronological look at their line

Blindjim > yes. I saw that thread and posted to it myself.

I called Shunyata too. Knowing the heritage is one thing, knowing which version does what to the sound is another.

I’m still in the dark as to the affects of each model and how the DX iterations quiet the power line. I was told the action takes place now in the IEC termination itself… or so I believe. It was pointed out too the DX or ‘quieter’ PCs do not have a specific purpose and can be used with any device without concern for any current limiting attributes.

The ‘Sigma’ however has a feature set none of the lower entrants possess.
I also got the impression the Taippan helix alpha sits nearest to the new Delta and perhaps between it and the next level up, the ’Alpha’.

Again it seems The Cable Co. must be used to know what’s up, almost for sure.