2.1 Stereo System for TV Listening

How well does a 2.1 stereo system work for TV listening?  As I have been looking at smaller homes, I’ve noticed that in many of those places, the TV would need to be same room where I would be listening to music.  In quite a few of these homes, it would be tough to set up a good 5.1 installation anyway.  A 2.1 system makes a lot of sense, since sound quality for music is my priority.  I currently have a quality 2.1 system with an integrated amp, tower speakers, and music streamer in my living room as well as a more modest 5.1 system in my TV room.

My biggest concern about using a 2.1 system for TV listening would be getting clear dialog audio at both low and high volumes.  I would be interested in reading about your experience using a 2.1 system for TV listening.  Thanks in advance for your input.

flyfish77

Showing 2 responses by lanx0003

The 2.1 system for movie does not do well primarily because of the less clear / focus dialogue that was distributed to the central channel speaker in the 5.1 or 7.1 AVR system. Creating / wiring a "phantom" center channel into a 2.1 system is tricky based on my limited exposure and the mono center channel created tends to messing up the soundstage of the original 2.1 system. For moving watching, I will suggest just buy a used reputable AVR and a center speaker and select the 3-channel mode. I use Harman Kardon AVR 25 ii for movie and it works great with a 3.1 setup. You could easily buy it or a comparable quality AVR for around $150.

My two main speakers were 14 ft apart with minor toe-in for music listening.  As such the person not sitting in the middle listening position could not get clear dialouge when watching movie without a Center channel...