180 gram vinyl vs First Pressing used

Just wondering if any one out there has problems with new 180 gram vinyl pressing of classic albums. The vinyl is thicker but the quality is just not there on a lot of the albums I’ve bought most through Amazon. They skip have surface noise are not really flat. I’m at a point I had rather have a VG+ first pressing than a new 180 gram pressing. Just wanted to know if any one else has problems with 180 gram vinyl. 
128x128lenmc2964

Showing 3 responses by lowrider57

Yes. There are a lot of defects in the vinyl being  manufactured today. They're coming from the record pressing plants that have emerged since the vinyl resurgence.

As millercarbon alluded to, 180g has nothing to do with the quality of records being produced. It's simply the current product being produced vs. 120 gram and 150g in past years.

It’s true that there have always been defects in mass produced vinyl.
But when the golden age of vinyl ended, pressing plants closed, lathes and all associated equipment were liquidated and the craftsmen who manufactured these records lost their jobs.

Since the resurgence of vinyl, there is, for the most part, a new generation of cutters and pressing technicians.
Also the business of pressing records contained many new startups. The demand for vinyl has stressed these companies to their limit and, IMO, there has been poor quality control.

Just read the many forums which contain threads about defects in newly produced vinyl. There can be vast differences in the quality of the product between different manufacturers.
The defects go beyond pops or noise from the vinyl. A common defect is warped or dished records.