15k for streamer and dac....how much on each?

for a music first, streaming only, two channel system.......with 15k in pocket (can buy new or used)  is the general rule of thumb 50/50 split on the budget?

do any all in one units at this price point compare to separates?

What choice did you land on at your respective budgets?

I've not had the greatest experience with streamers.....sound more similar than dissimilar to my admittedly non golden untrained ears

audiocanada

Is there a reason you wouldn’t want a one box solution….? The DCS Bartok is an amazing DAC. I’ve compared it to Nagra - Audio Research - Chord - Aurender - Moon - They are popping up used on Audiogon. As they retain a fair amount of thier value, maybe buy a Bartok and live with it a while…..?? 

it’s so subjective. This is just my journey. I currently have a Rossini Apex Player and somehow, it just keeps getting better…!

have fun…!

Forunder $7k  the T+a 200 dac myself and many say by far best in class it beats dacs much more expensive . The innuous pulsar latest mk3 or 4 you can get forunder $6500 which is top notch and better interface then Roon sounding better

to not have to use Roon.  Buy a decent ethernet switch Ansuz  or innuos 

and for sure quality Ethernet cables , and important buy a quality LPS power supply at the router ,the$5 junk wall wart that comes with the router- modem comboinduces a lot of noise , linear tube audio $700 on Audiogon  by far the best in class and can go upto 8 amps routers are around 4amps look on the wall wart today most are 12 v and comes  with a very high quality DC cable to router. Many people forget this ,a Big Mistake.

70/30 or 80/20 in favor of the DAC.

For $15k you might look at the streaming DAC's in that price range.

Happy hunting!

You should at least consider an Esoteric N-01XD for a one box solution.  There are a couple used in your price range.  In my comparisons I preferred this over dCS and Aurender units. 

Lots of great options in the price range.  My best advice, based on my experience, would be to go with separate dac and streamer.  

If you are going with Roon I recommend and Dac that has Roon incorporated.  For my first two iterations I went with I had a Roon Nucleus + with a Lumin D2 and decided I like it and upgraded my streamer to a Lumin T2.  I am really impressed with the Lumin technology, value and sound.  

I decided to overhaul my system and demoed everything I could get my hands on and landed on a Grimm MU1 Streamer with Roon built in and a Nagra Tube Dac.  I demoed Aurender, MSB, NAD, Innuos, Lumin, on and on.  If I did not get the Nagra I would have gone with the MSB.  The Msb Discrete Dac is probably in your range and agree with @riie .  Again, my best advice is to go with separates.  

Let us know how you make out.