15A vs. 20A power cord questions

I'm installing dedicated 20A lines with 10AWG cable and Furutech GTX-D 20A wall receptacles. I am currently using the standard IEC power cords that came with my Rogue Cronus Magnum and VPI Scout 1.1. 

I rather not upgrade the power cables at this time. I would like to see the effect the dedicated lines and outlets have first. Are there any issues with running 15A power cords into a 20A outlet and line? Would a 20A power cord possibly sound better or is it just a matter of the blade orientation?
asp307

Showing 2 responses by gs5556

A 20-amp power cord must have 20-amp rated connectors on both sides along with #12 or larger conductors.

If you have a cord that has #12 or larger conductors (or multiple conductors totaling over 12awg in area)  but 15-amp connectors on either or both sides, it is still a 15-amp cord. Manufacturers usually call that a "high current" or "amplifier" cord but they cannot call it a 20-amp cord.

If your equipment -- like most equipment -- has a 15-amp connector (C-14 receptacle) then you cannot use a listed 20-amp cord because it will not fit.

The power cord will not affect the power consumption or current draw of the amplifier. Your amplifier's fuse will limit the current well below the 80% listed amp threshold for the power cord.
jea48:

Power cords with 5-15 plugs to IEC320-C19 connectors and 14/3 conductors are very common, so an equipment mfr can easily bundle one if he chooses to put a C20 receptacle on his cdp for mechanical coupling reasons. But, like you said, if someone decides that he can use this cord to substitute for his lost Krell FPB 600 power cord, then yes it would be a potential problem (maybe that it's why most mfrs don't do it). If it was me, I would put a fixed power cord with a 5-20 plug on amps I manufacture that can draw more than 12-amps. Heck, you don't see air conditioner or microwave oven manufacturers making easy to mistakenly plug their stuff into the wrong outlet.