15A vs. 20A power cord questions

I'm installing dedicated 20A lines with 10AWG cable and Furutech GTX-D 20A wall receptacles. I am currently using the standard IEC power cords that came with my Rogue Cronus Magnum and VPI Scout 1.1. 

I rather not upgrade the power cables at this time. I would like to see the effect the dedicated lines and outlets have first. Are there any issues with running 15A power cords into a 20A outlet and line? Would a 20A power cord possibly sound better or is it just a matter of the blade orientation?
asp307

Showing 15 responses by asp307

@mofimadness @zephyr24069 @jea48 @cleeds 

thanks all, this is now clear to me. Regarding a twisted pair or standard cable to link the breaker to the outlet, any advantages or is it all about the grounding?
@jea48 I live in Pittsburgh, PA. This was pretty informative; thanks. It was recommended to me by a US producer of speakers/cables to ground to the earth using rods and to use a twisted pair for the connection between the breaker and the outlet. These slides seem to debunk this...
@jea48 I have two wall outlets he will install. How many lines do I need? Currently I have a tube integrated and a turntable..Later this year I will look to add an external phono pre with power supply.

Thanks for your step by step breakdown, this is helpful.
@jea48 Thanks, my electrician has the 10-2 with ground NM-B Sheathed Cable ready to go. 
@jea48 Thanks, I have two wall receptacles for him to install. Should each one be on a different breaker? Do you run the 10-2AWG to each wall receptacle? 

What were you trying to achieve by doing this? What have you achieved by doing this?

Thanks.
@jea48 Thanks, I did not buy them pre-cooked so I'll have to be patient. I'm looking forward to listening for the changes during break-in. 

They will be installed tomorrow. I will provide feedback.
@jea48 2 3/4 hours later and I can now plug into 2 Furutrech GTX-D Rhodium wall receptacles. The electrician created a dedicated 20A breaker while keeping the 10-2 AWG cables isolated from any other cables. The run is clean where it meets a junction box close to where the cable runs up through the 1st floor and into two separate boxes thus increasing isolation. 

There are no wall plate covers. I may add later. I am utilizing stock 15A mains plugging directly into the outlet.

4 1/2 hours through burn-in, I love what I am hearing although there is a marine layer of sibilance and grittiness. The detail retrieval is enhanced as well as the noise floor, background and soundstage. The dynamics are the best I have heard.

I've read anywhere from 500-800 hours of burn-in. 

@jea48 good call on the box fan. I am running a CD player On the second outlet, first receptacle. The second duplex will be used should I invest in a phono pre. Lots more detail, bass I've not heard before. Why don't they burn these in at the factory?
@jea48 currently same receptacle as the amp, although I am running the fan in the amps position. 
@jea48 Thanks, I am only using the CDP for burn-in. I think you answered another question though. I have two duplexes and 4 receptacles. Do I need to burn-in each of the 4 receptacles. For instance, just because i’m running a box fan in one receptacle, that is not burning-in the entire duplex, correct?

Regarding the phono-pre, this is down the line. I currently only use an integrated and a turntable. Which duplex should the turntable be plugged in to?

Will a burned-in/not burned-in receptacle make a difference for the turntable motor?
Regarding the phono-pre, this is down the line. I currently only use an integrated and a turntable. Which duplex should the turntable be plugged in to?

Will a burned-in/not burned-in receptacle make a difference for the turntable motor?

Do I need to burn-in each of the 4 receptacles. For instance, just because i’m running a box fan in one receptacle, that is not burning-in the entire duplex, correct?
@zephyr24069 thanks, I would describe the hold much as you did so I think that's normal. I would assume upgraded power cables may have larger or more robust blades which would enhance grip. I think there have been immediate improvements although since I upgraded to a dedicated line, 10awg wire and the outlets I'm not sure where to give the most credit.
@jea48 @zephyr24069 I am already hearing substantial improvement with clarity, space, noise floor and soundstage depth. I can now listen at lower levels with excellent detail retrieval which was a goal as our master is above our music room. I noticed a difference from Saturday (install day) and last night so about 53 hours in. The sibilance and grittiness is not as pronounced as it was at first listen.

Question, I am surprised that when I plug a male blade into the receptacle it is not overly tight. I believe this is by design as not to strip any type of treatments that aftermarket power cables may have. When you plug in, it slides in and sits but it never feels so secure that I would have to put my foot on the wall and pull hard. I should note that I am using standard IEC 15A power cables that came with my Rogue Cronus Magnum and VPI Scout turntable. 

I bought the receptacles from HiFi Heaven via Ebay (about $180 per rather than $240). I talked to them this morning and the gentleman tested a plug while we were on the phone. He had the same experience.

I’ve read several reviews of this wall receptacle that have used descriptors such as "vice like" when referring to the grip.

Do either of you have this wall receptacle or similar that emply a similar technique and if so can you comment?