120Volts to 220Volts?

Hi Folks:
I hope to move my Arcam CD player and amplifer from the US to Singapore, but the electricity requirements are different. I guess I'm looking at three options:
To purchase transformers here or in Singapore which will allow the units to work there, or to get the internal electronics of the units changed to work at 220V, or to simply sell the gear on the used market and work from scratch in Singapore.
Which option do you think is the wisest? I'm not sure how difficult or expensive the first two are. I'd value your advice. Thanks!
128x128outlier

Showing 1 response by njonker

You have a few options here, you already mentioned the option of a transformer. If you do this, you should probably consider a servo controlled variable transformer, which will ensure that any variances in the source voltage will not translate to your equipment. For example, using a static transformer, 240 volt beceomes 120 etc. This can become problematic when you have spikes on the line. I have bought some servo controlled transformers from www.overseasdvd.com, they are fiarly inexpensive and work fine for me.

Another option you have not mentioned is using a PS Audio PowerPlant. These are wave form regenerators that will recreate a nice, clean 60Hz sine wave at 110V. The cool thing is that the input voltage by default is 110V, but is switch selectable between 110 and 220. While it is an expensive option, it would make for great, clean 110V power. I use a PowerPlant 300 in my main system before the CD Player and Pre and it is a remarkable piece of equipment.

Hope that helps.
More to discover