100W, 200W, or 300W?

I'm pretty new to this and could use some help. Working down my list of upgrades: did speakers, room treatment on order... I think next up is to replace my amp.

I'm currently using a Harman Kardon PA2000 stereo amp that I had sitting in storage. 100 WPC @ 8 Ohm. It's "OK", but it probably the weak point in my system right now.

For speakers, I picked up B&W 805D3 tabletops with stands.

88 dbSPL sensitivity, 8 ohm. They recommend 50-120W @ Ohm for the amp power on their site.

I pulled up an amplifier calculator and plugged in some numbers:

88 sBSPL, 8 ft distance, 85 dB volume w 15 dB headroom and this came out to 3W RMS w 94W peak

I have my heart set on blue watt meters so I see the following options:

1) MA5300 @ 100 WPC, no autoformers, integrated
2) MA7200 @ 200 WPC, has autoformers, integrated
3) MC302 @ 300 WPC, has autorormers, seperates

For the MA5300, I'm concerned that there isn't enough headroom. If I even get close to the 94W peak, it means that I'm pushing the amp to the max, so I'd probably be operating in an area of reduced sonic performance since it's being stressed. Is this a correct assumption?

The MA7200 looks like it'll leave plenty of headroom and it also has (for better or worse) autoformers which seems to be what puts the "mac sound" in macs.

The MC302 is just sexy as heck... but is there any realistic gain with my current set up that I would get by buying one of these? Or is it so much overkill that I am just throwing money away at this point?
eisenb11

Showing 3 responses by mrklas

Interesting dilemma as I considered the MC 7200,MC 89000 and MC 302. 
My starting point was a NAD C 375 BEE and ultimately I went with the MC302. 
I believe more power provides more control for the speaker so I wouldn’t fear overkill. 
Your decision is more about value per dollar and for that I’d suggest you consider going with an integrated amp if your current head unit cannot do that. I have McIntosh C 2600 pre amp and MC 302 - it’s awesome and there are numerous combos at the investment level that are excellent as well. 
The 7200 has a DAC that is a step ip from your Sonus and the 100 watt difference from the 302 is not easily heard. 
As an aside, sound delivery from my system is delivered smoothly and listening sessions often are hours I duration because I don’t get any fatigue. 
@eisenb11

I recently purchase Sonus Faber Sonetto Vs.  I really like them and they are a significant upgrade from my Sonus Faber Venere 3.0s
Congrats!  And buying something not on the list sounds like you were able to identify additional options.

The meters are a bit like fire - hypnotic!