100W, 200W, or 300W?

I'm pretty new to this and could use some help. Working down my list of upgrades: did speakers, room treatment on order... I think next up is to replace my amp.

I'm currently using a Harman Kardon PA2000 stereo amp that I had sitting in storage. 100 WPC @ 8 Ohm. It's "OK", but it probably the weak point in my system right now.

For speakers, I picked up B&W 805D3 tabletops with stands.

88 dbSPL sensitivity, 8 ohm. They recommend 50-120W @ Ohm for the amp power on their site.

I pulled up an amplifier calculator and plugged in some numbers:

88 sBSPL, 8 ft distance, 85 dB volume w 15 dB headroom and this came out to 3W RMS w 94W peak

I have my heart set on blue watt meters so I see the following options:

1) MA5300 @ 100 WPC, no autoformers, integrated
2) MA7200 @ 200 WPC, has autoformers, integrated
3) MC302 @ 300 WPC, has autorormers, seperates

For the MA5300, I'm concerned that there isn't enough headroom. If I even get close to the 94W peak, it means that I'm pushing the amp to the max, so I'd probably be operating in an area of reduced sonic performance since it's being stressed. Is this a correct assumption?

The MA7200 looks like it'll leave plenty of headroom and it also has (for better or worse) autoformers which seems to be what puts the "mac sound" in macs.

The MC302 is just sexy as heck... but is there any realistic gain with my current set up that I would get by buying one of these? Or is it so much overkill that I am just throwing money away at this point?
eisenb11

Showing 3 responses by auxinput

Get the biggest best amps you can.
300W RMS, or larger.
 You need the headroom, said,many times, when crescendos, drum, or guitar solos, or the song ending slam at the end does happen, you will need the headroom.
I would agree with this statement.  I also have the B&W 805 D3 (previously had D2).  I tested two amps side-by-side with these speakers.  One set were 250 watt monoblocks and the second set was 500 watt monoblocks.  The were the same product line from the same exact manufacturer.  The 250 watt amps were nice, but if you listened closely, the smaller 250 watt did not have quite as much authority with bass (not quite as full bass and not quite as much slam).  It was almost splitting hairs, but the difference was there.  I think a 50-100 watt amp would sound even weaker (but it would still work). 

You don't buy big amps for the total power.  You buy them because they have huge power supply capacitance and transformers.  You will get a lot more punch, slam and midrange/midbass body.  The smaller amps with smaller transformers and capacitance just will not have the authority, EVEN AT LOWER VOLUMES.

The McIntosh sound is more of a mild and laid back signature.  If you say the autoformers create the McIntosh sound, it could be that the autoformers are responsible for the mild/laid-back sound.  Just a thought.  Not arguing against McIntosh.  It's entirely a personal preference.

Just food for thought.
@auxinput curious, what amps were those? What are you using now with your 805D3s?
The 250 watt monoblocks were Emotiva XPA-1L.
The 500 watt monoblocks were Emotiva XPA-1

Currently, I’m using Emotiva XPR-1 monoblocks (1000 watt) for my front stage (left/center/right/sub). They have all been completely rebuilt / upgraded. Neotech OCC copper for all internal wiring. 24 x 10,000uf Mundorf caps for main power supply. Nichicon FG/KW for all amp boards. Upgraded WIMA film caps and KEMET film-on-foil caps for all amp boards.   Furutech fuses.

Obviously I’m not anywhere using the full 1000 watts. If I crank it with a heavy bass effects movie, I can get the sub amp to about 70% (which is about 1200 watts into 4 ohm subwoofer load). But the other amps never get above 30% or so with the extreme peaks. The XPR amps have LED lighting on the front that shows how much power it’s generating (like the dials on McIntosh amps).
You started this discussion indicating you really wanted McIntosh.  That's fine, but keep in mind that McIntosh has a mild and laid back midrange type of sound.  Very pleasing to listen to on a high resolution speaker like B&W D3, but it's not going to be as exciting and dynamic as other amps.

The Luxman that I heard is definitely not laid back.  It is more of the fast high resolution and dynamic type of sound.  Luxman would not be a good pairing with speakers such as Focal or Wilson.  It can come across as being too thing/bright, but they should do very well on B&W.

I suppose it depends on what kind of sound you are after.