100+ hr of break in VS 5 hr break in, Help

I have a new pair of wharfedale diamond 9.6's that I and an audiophile friend broke in for about 5-9 hours with his plinius amp base system. I have been very dissapointed at the sound, and when I called to return them I was told that 100+ hours would be needed for them to open up.

I wanted to know if anyone had experience with these speakers, and if a break-in such as this could change the sound, especially the detail and transparency of the midrange on strings/choir from bad to acceptable? Thoughts would be appreciated; I am new to spending gobs of cash on audio equipment, and am getting a little worried. Of course the question will answer itself in a few days. Just for reference I will be driving these with a new-to-me (used) Krell 300iL amp.

Thanks

thanks
windzilla
I have no experience with your particular speakers but did have a very similar one with a pair of Paradigm Studio 60s. When I first hooked them up there was such a harsh quality to vocals that I considered returning them. It took a few weeks for them to break in and smooth out. A very fine speaker after break in. You should give them time -- as long as warranty doesn't run out. Good luck.
Windzilla,

Unfortunitally breakin is a fact of life. 100+ hours is not uncommon at all for speakers or any other component. Actually it is more likely to be 200-300 hours. So pick your favorite disc put it on repeat and let your speakers burn in for 2 to 3 weeks.

They do make discs specifically for burning in components, but I cant think of them off the top of my head. You can search the archives on "burn in" and should find a lot of information.

Michael