Words From the Wise

Hello fellow Audiophiles and Audio Enthousiast. I've been in the game for a little over 4 months now and I've learned tonnes of stuff along the way thanks to some very knowledgeable people on this website and in my local community (but mostly on this website).

I'll get right to the point.

Whether you are new to the game or a veteran I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the top 5 things you would tell a fellow Audiophile to better his/her enjoyment of this wonderful hobby. Please use point form or short paragraphs
buckingham
Bombaywalla- I think you are right on target; poor accoustics [listening room] can break an otherwise excellent speaker. Match the speaker to the venue for best results.
1. RUN FAR AND FAST AWAY FROM HERE BEFORE YOU GO CRAZY AND BROKE. (probably to late)

2. Set a realistic budget.

3. Learn to listen, and listen to as many system's as possible.

4. Re-adjust your budget.

5. Forgive yourself the endulgance, it's too late, so enjoy the sweet music!

6. (bonus) Beat the kids BEFORE they touch the system.
Clarification:

1. It was to late for me the day I was born. I used to sleep with the radio under my pillow. There is magic in them there notes, and the people playing them, and the spirits that guide them, and in me when I am open - which I can not seem to control at will; magic.

2. I set a realistic budget so that I had a place to start and to enable the breaking of inertia. I found out later that I had no clue about what was available, at what cost, nor how to judge value; of the components in contrast to each other and of the minute differences that can be the difference between nice and oh my God!

3. Listening over and over, reading, listening to dealers and audiophiles and re-listening, getting frustrated and re-excited. Discovered incredible tone, then discovered decay, space, dynamics. The first was tone. The second was soundstage. The third was quality bass, then extreme low frequency in musical context. Initial impressions soon went completely out the window and I had no idea what was real or what I liked. I finally heard a planner set up done correctly and "oh my god" now I get the planner thing (but still could not live without off-axis response.) I finally heard a tube set-up that blew my mind with richness and clarity, again "oh my god" (but I knew I still could not live without the frequency extremes and dynamic speed.) on and on and on.

4. Reset budget to be in line with what was required, for me.

5. I often feel guilty, but I soon realized guilt is better than regret and bitterness; after all I did (and still) work for it. Music was my first love and has been my constant through good and bad - sorry honey??? I love you too though. :)

6. This was simply meant to be funny. Said "Kid" has never messed with the system, but she taunts me and I see her eye it when she gets jealous and mad, like we kids do. I need to remember, she is she and not me, who was not so understanding of value and had limited control and did stupid things that defied all logic for no apparent reason. Fire is hot, hmmmm.... ouch!!! Duh.
Do not set your Audio Beliefs in "stone" , think of them as "temporary" . There are many things I believed 3-5 years ago, that either technology, or just experience has taught me otherwise. I have seen too many friends defend their beliefs to the death and miss out on new experiences .Once you think you know it all you are locked up to any new ideas and concepts. Keep an open mind on everything. You might be surprised with the results !
TRY THESE 5 FISRT...
1.) OPEN A TD ACCOUNT BEFORE YOUR MONEY IS ALL GONE.
2.) SELL ALL YOUR STUFFS BEFORE YOUR WIFE DIVORCE YOU.
3.) RUN AWAY FROM THIS FORUM, DON'T EVEN GO ONLINE ANYMORE.
4.) TRY TO LISTEN TO NOISY MUSIC AND LEARN TO APPRECIATE IT.
5.) DON'T CHECK MAIL ANYMORE, LET YOUR WIFE DO IT.

IF YOU CAN'T DO THE ABOVE 5, TRY THE FOLLOWING 5...
1.) REMOVATION THE HOUSE BEFORE THE ROOM TREATMENTS DOMINATE IT
2.) GET RIB OF YOUR HEATER AS SOON AS YOU PURCHASE A TUBE OR CLASS A AMP
3.) BEFORE YOUR VISITORS ASK, REMIND THEM THAT THE CABLES ARE NOT WATER HOSES AND THE BIG AMP YOU HAVE IS NOT A MINI LAUNDRY MACHINE
4.) GET SOME EAR PLUGS IN CASE OF A COMPLAINT OR...
5.) BUY SOME TAPE TO SEAL YOUR WIFE'S MOUTH

Disclaimer: Above is just a joke. I am not responsible for anything whatsoever if you really go do it! Cheers =)