Wilson Maxx3 vs Avalon Isis

Hi,
I am looking for an upgrade from my Kharma 3.2.2. The Maxx3 and the Isis both similarly priced, are on my list.
Can anyone who have heard both give some comparisons of the two.. in terms of musicality, dynamics, refinement, soundstaging, and importantly demand for amplifier power?

thanks.
128x128alectiong
Alec,

I am, of course, guessing in regards to what Dave Wilson and Neil Patel are thinking. However, it probably comes down to:

1) The overall goals of how the speaker should be voiced. Avalon has always prioritized a coherent and clear sound that excells in imaging and nuance.
2) Integration of all drivers and cross-overs so that the speaker works as an organic whole, and the drivers 'disappear'.
3) Consideration for cost. Go ahead and add-up the drivers on the Isis. You have $4000 per 1" diamond tweeter, $600 x 2 for the 13" kevlar woofer, and $250 per ceramic driver. Add any modifications, plus cross-over R+D and manufacturing. It adds-up quickly and one realizes that these speakers are expensive to design and manufacture.

The Isis bass is very appropriate, and very detailed. The detail comes from proper integration of the tweeter and midrange. That's how one can hear the bow pressure, stroke length, stroke speed, and amount of resin on the double-basses to the right of the stage.

Rob
Hi Rob:

I am considering getting Isis But the amp match is an issue. Am considering the pass labs and the karan. I live out here in HK. How 's your take on which is a better match for isis.

Source is Dcs scarlatti and power conditioning is NBS and power cords are gutwire sp11.1 , Synergistic Research Tesla and PAD anniversary for power cords. Speaker cables are Cardas Clear beyond.

I would greatly appreciate your first hand experience and advice!!!

Regards
Mark
Hi Mark,

I'm very happy with the Pass, and it is a keeper for me. The Avalon synergy surprised me, because no one suggested it. The only other amp that I'd like to hear on the Isis is the new BAT Rex amp.

I can vouch for a Pass XA.5 160 or 200 with the Isis, along with the Tripoint Troy. After that, you can try to audition several balanced, tubed, preamps.