Willing to be proved wrong.

After reading so many threads and so many arguments, I'm willing to concede that maybe I'm wrong. My turntable, an old Garrard DD75 has been sitting in the basement since I got my first cd player. I've also got a lot of vinyl stuck away. I've had chances to sell it, but somehow never could. My question, is, what do I need to do to get this TT going again. It still has a Stanton 681EEE cartridge, and according to the strobe, still runs true. I've put a lot of money into this hobby in the last year, so if you're going to tell me to buy an expensive new TT, forget it. I'm willing to get a new cartridge, but have no idea what to get now a days. It used to be Shure, Ortofon, Empire. I'll also need a pre-pre amp of some kind, but have read threads about a battery powered one from Rat Shack. I would appreciate any help.
elmuncy
The phono input arrived today at noon. I hooked it up right away to make sure that it worked. I've made at least four trips down my basement for records. I had to make myself stop half an hour ago. I listened for almost five hours! I have to keep reminding myself that this is the same crappy TT that I almost threw away, but stuck in the basement instead. I started this thread with the statement that I was willing to be proved wrong. I am wrong. I take back all the sarcastic things that I said about you analog people. I will now get a decent TT. Thank you all for the help, especially Dekay, who held my hand through this whole thing. This is the best site I've ever found!
We tried to stop you. This is not our fault. Now I know how Dr Frankenstein felt!
upgraded realistic 42-2101 or 42-2101a 42-2109 or the single 9 volt battery models are really nice preamps that preform way past the price point, for a MM cartridge any way.  I've been upgrading them for some time now with great success.  If you can solder little circuits and read a schematic go for it!
Whatta ya bet, by now, elmuncy ’s upgraded everything/moved on?  It would be interesting, to hear the rest of the story!
Post removed