Why "Cryo" anything?

Ok. So far, I have yet to think of a good explanation for "Cryo" treatment to enhance anything. Can someone explain this to me?

For background, I have a Master degree in Material Science Engineering. Here is my explaination why just "cryo" won't work.

At room temperature, the metal is already solid or frozen. Freezing it further won't do much. Most metals requires high temperature to cause any change in the microstructure or grain size/orientation/distribution. Simply freezing it for a few minutes will not change how it operates after the metal returns to room temperature.

Eric
ejliu
I dont really know anything about the cyrogenically process or if it works for audio applications but as far as I am concerned empirical evidence is a part of the scientific method. This includes experiments such as double blind tests, ALthough everyone has the right to feel that someones experiment was improperly done but to say that dbt's are difficult I really dont think so in the big scheme of things. Of course many EE's think that all is known and in a few years of college everything is passed to them but in reality this is not the case. If someone is not even willing to listen to a cryod cd because listening is not technical enough maybe this shows a major problem with the way students are taught at colleges. I am just trying to say that most innovations happen by accident and the thoery as to why it works are figured out later, like superconductivity which from my understanding was happened upon
"Superconductivity was first noticed when liquid mercury was cooled to liquid Helium temperatures (4.2K) while its resistivity was being plotted. While approaching that temperature, the resistance was coming down linearly, when all of a sudden it dropped to zero Ohms! Dutch physicist Heike Kamerlingh Onnes was performing this experiment in 1911. "
I am sure since then thousands if not millions of hours have been spent trying to figure out exactly how it works using other theories to premote new theories but after almost a hundred years cryogenis is still in its infant stage, as far as I am concerned.
But comparing a change in sound between cryo ing audio stuff and superconducting is a reach, why does any one think that superconductivity is the reason this sounds like a spurious relationship, come on the copper in a cable is not superconductive at room temp. but maybe something has changed. THe human ear is an amazing piece of equipment on I dont think we have the ability to recreate, yet some brush off any thing pretaining to hearing as not too technical?
The following is an exert from ludwig: "The human ear is a truly remarkable instrument. At one point in my life I designed Electronic Counter Measures (ECM) systems for the U. S. military. The primary function of an ECM system is to detect an enemy before he (it's rarely a she) detects you, for self-defense. It is interesting to compare the characteristics of a good ECM system and human hearing:
Comparison of characteristics

Characteristic
Good ECM system
Human hearing
Directional coverage
ECM All directions
Human hearing All directions
Source location accuracy
ECM Within 1-5 degrees
Human hearing About 5-degrees

Ratio of highest to lowest frequency (bigger the better)
ECM 20 : 1
Human hearing 1000 : 1

Ratio of strongest signal to weakest (the bigger the better)
ECM Million : one
Human hearing 32 trillion : one

Human hearing is a superior defensive system in every respect except source location accuracy. Note: Jourdain (page 23) states that human accuracy is 1-2 degrees in azimuth.
In contrast, a military system designed for communications (rather than detection) would typically have a much smaller ratio of highest-to-lowest frequency, no source location capability, and often a narrow directional coverage. For human communication a frequency ratio of 10:1 and a ratio of strongest to weakest signal of 10,000:1 would suffice. The far larger actual ratios strongly imply a purpose other than communication.

This doesnt prove anything except if people are hearing a difference maybe it is worthwhile to take a listen your self and if you hear a differnce maybe after wrapping your head around it you could try to wrap some of the knowledge you have around it . Try to figure out the mystery. What would have happened if everyone beside Dutch physicist Heike Kamerlingh Onnes said something to the effect of "Zero resistance everyone one knows that is immposible there must be something wrong with his instruments and methods, not worth even looking into" Pretty ridicules huh?
Excellent post, Lugnut...I figured this debate was just getting us all a bit too excited.

I do differ from your opinion that the "naysayers" are suggesting that there is no difference in sound. Perhaps I'm only speaking for myself (I don't think so?), but no one has directly said that cryo'ing does NOT make a difference. Some of us have tried it, some have not. My take on the discussion has been that some of us with specific knowledge of materials have questioned the "reasons" some have attributed to the difference, not really that there are no differences. This certainly doesn't rule out mechanisms we are unaware of, but the metallurgy is very well understood, so I'm fairly certain that we need to look elsewhere for the answers.

Autio, I agree that our ears are wonderful devices, but one component of hearing is perception and this is not always reliable. I've found my moods, sickness, exhaustion from a workout, etc all affect how and what I hear. Also, when I listen critically with a friend, sometimes afterward I find myself reversing my thoughts on further listening by myself. What I'm saying is MY hearing/perception is not always as reliable as I would like it to be. Maybe others don't have this problem? Ultimately, it is still the only tool we have to measure our enjoyment of a given component. I'll leave it at that.

Regards,

Jordan
Actually it would be violating a patent infringement to have Ejliu treat a brake pad and charge for the process.
This is a patented process and is used by many fleets to reduce the maintenance cost on high usage vehicles.
I have not participated in this discussion because one of my client companies produces products for the automotive industry that uses cryo processing.
I cannot make any claims as to improvements in audio equipment. The improvements in machining, stress relief longevity and resistance to corrosion are substantial and have been tested/ patented and are repeatable. We have many clients in the aerospace industry the military, high performance auto and bio medical. You can look up the patents on sparkplugs, brakepads and human joint replacements.
Post removed 
Cryo works, I tried it with tubes,the difference is
huge,those who cant hear it,either they dont want to
hear it, or their ears are not train, or maybe they
are scare to try it.