Why not more on 845 SETs?

As a brand-new owner of a Bel Canto SETi40 int amp,(bought used) I was intrigued to see very little in the fora on the subject of 845 SET amps an A'gon. It seems that this provides the best of both worlds -adequate power to drive most moderately sensitive speakers- 40 Class A SET WPC with SET sound. What is the downside to this approach and why don't more of the SET groupies have higher powered amps, giving them much more latitude in speaker selection? I drive 4 ohm 87 db sensitivity Totem 1 Signatures quite adequately with this amp. Is it beacuse of transformer issues, difficulty in finding adequate designs, size or the feeling that this is not a true "SET sound"?
I would like to hear SET-owners' reasons, if possible.
springbok10
This is a good thread.
- In general 845 SETs are very expensive to build.
- It generates a lot of heat. Not good in summer.
- My main speakers are BSL Type II (102db).
- I use Bel Canto SET40 in Winter. It kicks major butt.
- I use Moth Si2A3 in Summer. Very sweet.
- I use Music Reference RM-10 time to time. Very fast.
- I've used 45, 2A3, 300b, 845 in SE, PSE and PP.
- When all things are equal 845SET is the King of SET.
- 845 will do everything 300b does and more.
- 45 and 2A3 are slightly better in the mid and high but much lacking in low.
- 845SET is sound stage champ.
- My other speakers are Melior One (87db). 845 will drive them.
- Output transformer is the most critical item in SET.
- MHO from MOE. So, don't shoot me.
- I have few more amps and motorcycles. Because, I'm only allowed have one wife.

Best regards...
Twl - Interesting posts. I know a guy who is doing something that should get the attention of all of us. He has a 24 wpc 845 SET amp on a pair of Spendor S3/5's. His listening room is small, and he doesn't want to disturb the neighbors. It's a crazy and simple setup, but it sounds amazing. Another interesting thing he done was to eliminate power bars and line filters. Since the amp is integrated and he only has one source, all he done was bought a Hubbell duplex outlet and installed it, and plugged both components right into the wall.
Octuple, I went a step further and had custom made gear to run on 12vdc power, with separate batteries for each piece.
It's amazing to hear what flat DC battery power can do.

Simplify and enjoy.
Amen to DC power. One amp I'm having very hard time getting rid of is N.E.W. DCA66 which is battery powered class A SS amp. Disabled half of the power per Cary's recommendation and it is SWEET. It is a Nelson Pass designed and Cary built amp. I'm a die hard SET guy and this is the only SS amp I enjoy time to time. Amen to "simplify and enjoy" too. I don't use preamp nor x-over speakers. I use digital volume control by Meridian in front of the DAC to SET to x-over less speakers all connected with siler cables. As pure as I am able to get.