Why is my Mcintosh MC-2155 slow?

Dear 'Goners,

I have a beautiful Mcintosh Mc2155 that I love. It's signature sound is silky smooth with a great presentation without tyrying my ears. However one thing that I cannot figure out is it's so damn slow. I have listened to other comparable amplifier of similar vintage (ARC, Sansui, Conrad Johnson, Marantz) and they all fail when it compares to sonics but speed wise they blow my MC-2155 out of the water.

Is there something wrong with my amplifier? How do I correct this?

Thanks
splittie
Before I forget I must mention that my 2155 is hooked up to a pair of dali suite 1.7 mini towers (2 1/2 way design, with 2 5" woofers and a 1" tweeter).

The 1.7's are very forgiving and musical however they are not the most transparent or have the widest soundstage.
You don't want a forgiving speaker with McIntosh IMO. The new DALIs I heard were not all that forgiving (ribbon tweeter) but if your's are, then it is time for a change.

You don't mention your budget so I will guess. If I were you, I would look into using Triangles like the Celius ESw or Altea ESw (the latter is 2.5 way if you like that). These speakers are pace and imaging champs which will compliment the 2155 very well - and can be really sweet deals on Agon.

Other options are JM Labs, which is what I use with my McIntoshes. The older Electra series can be had cheap these days and they sound fantastic. The Chorus lines are cheaper still but shouldn't be overlooked cause their tweeter is best in class IMO. The JM Labs tend to have more bass and bigger soundstaging than the Triangles at the expense of some imaging precision.

Personal preference and taste must play a role for you to be satisfied so do some homework before buying. There are many great options. Anything from Thiel, B&W, Revel, and Paradigm Reference will also work great with your Mc. (I have first-hand experience with all of my recommendations.)

Be sure to post your thoughts about the sensitivity change.

Arthur
You can also consider Thiel speakers. They are neutral, transparent enough that you likely will keep hearing faults in the chain before it during the first month, and have excellent soundstage if given the space. Given your room size limitation, I would consider those in the 2.* series.

Since Thiel speakers are rather neutral, a McIntosh amp will bring it to the warm side and give them a nice body in the mid-range. MC 2155 should have enough power to drive those under 3.* series. Thiel speakers do not allow bi-wiring, which goes nicely with those narrow McIntosh speaker connection strips. Last but not the least, Thiel has excellent customer supports. Being able to access manufacturer directly instead of importer makes a big difference when you need service.
as far as tempo, an amplifier cannot be slow. that is a speed issue. a cd player or turntable may have speed errors. how can an amlifier affect speed ?

are you perhaps alluding to a frequency response phenomenon or a focus problem. if you are having a problem processing musical information, it may be noise, veiling , blurring or phase that you are alluding to.
as far as tempo, an amplifier cannot be slow. that is a speed issue. a cd player or turntable may have speed errors. how can an amlifier affect speed ?

are you perhaps alluding to a frequency response phenomenon or a focus problem. if you are having a problem processing musical information, it may be noise, veiling , blurring or phase that you are alluding to.