Why did you switch from Audio Research Ref 3?

The Audio Research Ref 3 has garnered rave reviews from the
audiophile press. Many of us have changed from a Ref 3 to other Preamps. Why have you decided to make a change? What Preamp replaced the Ref 3 in your system?
Was the new component a better choice?
c_pasa
"It's all about harmony and synergy ..."

Especially the amplifier's input impedance. The Ref3 works best driving high impedance (100kOhms).
Dev,
If you see my amp evolution post, believe me, I have tried the long, hard and winding ways to elude spending so much on insanely priced equipments myself. However, in the end just have to take my hat off and throw in the towel to the FMAs. Those lengthy trip not only left me very little time to enjoy music (more the equipments), they also ended up being 'costlier' too (factoring each amp trade-ins and cable swapping for the last 15yrs!).

Yes, enjoyment of music is also the reason I decided to take the plunge and go for the FM268. With their built-in linearizer, I can practically fine tune the thousands of off-the-rack popular recordings I have, and turn them to sounding almost audiophile quality. Well, that's where their real added value weighs in--for me. Though, that may not mean anything (considering money spent) were they not also at least twice better than their own FM266MKII.

I have stated previously the ARC REF3 is a satisfying (fine sounding) pre-amp, maybe it's just me gotten tired, looking and choosing gears to live with on longer term basis now. To exit the merry-go-round, and out of the numbering game many manufacturers like to play these days.

As for your MBL speakers, I've had no exposure (aside from reading their articles and glowing reviews) to qualify any comment or recommendation, sorry.
C_pasa, I have heard so but it's all a secret for now. Just look at how long the REF3 has been out now so it obvious sooner or later there will be a MK2 version or a whole new pre.
If the REF 3 upgrade is coming out (whether it be a MkII or the REF 4), the upcoming CES in January is a likely time for the unveiling.