Who has Luv for the Lyngdorf 2170 and is thinking about the 3400.

Hello All,
I’m coming up on 40 yrs in this hobby,and or obsession of ours,and I started with a pair of Khorns and Macintosh at the age of 12 and Offcourse owned a ton of different gear over the yrs.
I bought a 2170 a little more than 6 months ago and I enjoyed it so much that I quickly realized I don’t really need anything else,solid state,tubes,or even dac’s anymore.I could step off that silly merry go round of amplification and just enjoy music.I was able to utilize the extra money and time and put together a really great sounding network audio system that rivaled the best in analog that I have ever had,I was mainly a analog guy all of these yrs but finally gave it up,I even sold my longtime record collection of 3k records which included many Hot Stampers that I purchased and also several that I found on my own.

So who Luv’s the 2170 and is maybe also thinking about the new 3400.

Happy Listening,
Kenny.

kdude66

Showing 22 responses by uberwaltz

@cal3713 

Could you expand on your opinion of the media server aspect portion please?
I assume it has a wired lan input and can stream Tidal et al?
Did anybody ever buy a 3400?
Thoughts on it over the 2170?
Particularly interested in the music server aspect as well as any perceived increase in sq.
I cant see me ever using mine Bill but out of town right now and not back until Saturday.
Let me have a look when I get home but pretty sure you could have it.
I ordered a base pair but now I am thinking I should add the upgrade package at $300 from what I hear, would anybody agree?
Are their any 2170 owners here running Tekton Di and your thoughts?
The 2170 have enough juice for them?
Thanks for the update, so you never got to even try a 3400 yet, great shame.
Real pity you are amongst the ones having trouble getting product from cpt.
I was fortunate to receive an equicore1800 and found it to be a great unit.
Hope your fortunes improve and you get your monies back and eventually can sample a Lyngdorf product.
Good luck
Tbh it is hard to remember what vinyl sounded like on my McIntosh but I was using its own,built in phono stage so not a fair comparison to where I am now.
Probably25% vinyl playback, I stream most of my music nowadays so for me the ph10 into the 2170 is much more than "good enough" ...lol.

All I can say really is that I have not thought about looking at any other amp since buying the 2170
@grannyring

I was actually wondering on that after reading mr greens thread.
nice to know however if i did that sure as sugar one of my wayward cats would pee in it!
Not a bad idea, would hate to spend a lot at this point if it turns out to not be the cables at all.
Funny thing is that Nordost cables have suited my system very well and just about every other cable is Nordost, the RCA ones are from the phono and tape deck into the 2170 and my speaker cables are Nordost too.
But different results with different equipment and people all the time
Kenny
Thanks for the input (sic)
I am running out of options besides the obvious as you say of it being the tonality of the cables themselves. I did verify they were terminated correctly, pin 1 to pin 1 etc etc on both cables.
Unfortunately i do not have any other xlr cables right now to do a quick test so would have to buy something which could be a whole shooting in the dark experiment right there.
Just a question for 2170 owners.
Does anybody use the balanced analog inputs and if so your thoughts on sq.
Mine just sound wrong.
I have option from my ph10 phono to run xlr or rca out so had both hooked up to the 2170 so instant switching comparison. And yes I did match sensitivity to give same db levels prior to listening.
On xlr it just sounds way to bright, thin and brittle. The rca is vastly better sq to my ears. I also noticed same when I hooked my OPPO up in the same manner but the phono seems to highlight it further.
I do not think is cables as the rca are Nordost red dawn which most people think give a thinner sound!
Xlr cables are Wireworld gold eclipse7.
Just curious.
Bullitt5094

No kidding!
You can tell who wears the pant in my house!
Seriously it is a Florida/Sun room.
The opening from the main house is two huge sets of glass sliding doors which take up one wall then 3 walls of 3/4 height glass windows.
Tiled floor, Vaulted ceiling so it gets a sloping roof for rain.
Now I do have wooden blinds on every external glass wall, huge thick floor rug and 3 large squishy sofas to help out with the audio.
Speakers are on maple block stands.
All in all it is not as terrible as it could be
But the 2170 was a huge break through and will be here for a while until the next best thing shows up....like a new house!
mofojo

You and me both on the room
Try 4 walls of glass and a tiled floor and a vaulted ceiling!
No wonder I found this amp to be a godsend and ended up with over 30% correction, thats how bad my room is!
Totally agree with Grannyring.
I use Corepowertech equicore 1800 and one of their cpt power cords.
No separate wall socket for amp needed with the equicore 1800.
Not really noticed much sonic change from new tbh but plan to redo the mike measurement after about 500 hours or so just in case.
Correct aniwolfe, another reason I never even bothered with that. Bit cheap, sort of like the presets you find in a cheap car radio.....lol.
I have not used the adjustable eq on the 2170, I just leave on neutral so that is not too important to me right now.
If the room perfect did its job correctly then there really should be no need to tweak the eq apart from personal preference
After reading up on the 3400, I may be as well to stay with my 2170.
Extra features I see.
More power 2x200w at 8 ohms
Aes/ebu digital input
Built in media server.

I use my Vault2 for media , playing my ripped cds and stream Tidal.
Will not get rid of it as then would lose ability to play my ripped cds so the built in media server on the 3400 is a little redundant for me.
More power...well always nice but I do not feel the 2170 is straining in my system so....
Aes/ebu input...... Do not have anything that has that type of output.

Will wait and see others thoughts and experience with the 3400.
I believe HiFi Heaven has the 3400 for $6499, $6899 with the optional analog input module same as I went with on my 2170, they are who I bought my 2170 from and a few other items before that
Good dealer with great customer service, my 2170 had moved a bit in shipping and the top case was scratched, they organised a brand new case top shipped direct from Denmark to me.
Please let us know your thoughts on the 3400!
Not had the 2170 long but if the 3400 is significantly better well......
@robelvick.
 As I mentioned on another thread through my Dynavector. P75 mk3 I still consider vinyl to be more than good enough as it is only approx 20% of listening. May have lost a tiny amount of dynamics but not anything I went off to cry about!

Certainly nowhere near outweighed the many advantages I perceived
I have been in love with my 2170 since the morning I got it, ran the room perfect and just sat back and enjoyed the music with zero excess bass bloom .
I agree that speakers are best left in the position you get best sq without the room perfect on unless you have no choice.
This is what I did, ran 15 point mic session and was blown away by the solidity of the mid and lower bass without any unwanted boom.
The sweet spot seems to be extremely wide in my setup and although I play plenty of digital through it (Tidal and Vault 2 ripped cds) I have found the additional analog module with xlr inputs is also quite good. I still play vinyl through it and cassette analog to boot from my Nakamichi.
I use the digital out to feed a Burson headphone amp.
The software is extremely easy to use and setup and quite powerful and versatile imho.

The best all in one integrated I have tried in my system so far.
As others have said, in the real world with WAF room treatments are not always a viable option, this unit has made life easier all round in my home!