Which Vivaldi Four Seasons CD to buy???

OK - I'm a total beginner when it comes to classical music. I'm only recently getting into it because it helps me get through my law school readings and retain the information. The music I normally listen to doesn't really do that.

Anyway, I figure Vivaldi's Four Seasons is a good place to start. (I think that my taste leans towards the Baroque era because I also like Albinoni Adagio). My problem is which Four Seasons CD is the best one in terms of the musician and audiophile quality? There seem to be so many out there... (I think that my father has one by Telarc?)

Thanks!
mdp0430
For this sort of music you really can't go wrong with Neville Marriner and the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields.

OK, it's a DVDA (not a CD) but Naxos 5.110001, London Mozart Players is a fine performance with excellent recording. And it cost me only $14.98!! (which is cheap for a DVDA).

The four seasons concertos are recorded with ambience only in the surround channels, but the disc also includes two other Vivaldi concertos for double orchestras that are recorded in true antiphonal manner.
I really like Christopher Hogwood and The Academy of Ancient Music's Four Seasons from L'oiseau-Lyre. I also have an SACD recording by Isaac Stern from Sony, but it sounds somewhat bright. I prefer the Hogwood.
I like Nigel Kenned's rendition. Not neccessarily adherent to the original composition, but very inventive and worth a good listen. The Telarc recording is good, but it's almost mechanical feeling. C. Hogwood has superb recordings, but some people may not be prepared for original instruments and playing them in the style of the time. N. Mariner is very good too, and you ought to plug him in and give a listen. Good luck listening!
You're going to have to decide whether you want it performed on modern or period instruments, and played in a modern or period style; makes quite a difference.

I don't see how anybody can listen to glorious music (played on glorious equipment) and read (and retain) at the same time! Anyway, isn't that mixing genres? ;-)

Good luck,
Steve O.
Buy something recent from an established label. Your young ears will enjoy the recording quality. I've never heard a recording of the piece that wasn't enjoyable-the notes don't change. Decca, Philips, DG, Telarc nice sound among others.