which book to get?

I am wishing to learn how to listen Jazz and at a deeper level as well, though I dont play instruments, but still keen to discover what i like, what i dont like, actually have limited knowledge of Jazz, so you could say Im a novice.

I'm keen to develop an ability to discern styles and epochs in the jazz history, and so now I am debating on which of the 2 books of which i narrowed down from several choices, I have to choose 1, i can't make up my mind, which shall I get?

The Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine

Jazz Styles: History & Analysis by Mark C. Gridley

I can only pick one, so which one would you choose?

Many thanks
grummer
Neither one, if you are new to the music. Get hold of the Smithsonian Collection of Classic Jazz. 6 lps. Also available on cd I think (if you must). It documents the early history of jazz right and continues to the modern period. Really well done. It comes with an excellent history booklet that's probably about 30-50 pp if memory serves. This way you can listen to the music that you're reading about and really learn something.
that's a cool suggestion will look to that, yep and I still would like to get One nice book, almost text book like, but in a freindly written manner that talks about how each eras, players plays the music, im not too concerned with personal life stories - there way too many books floating around which emphasised bios and not on the music although I dont know how to read sheet music, I got a freind who would teach me these sometimes not far way