When is unequal, equal?

Due to an awkward room configuration,the speaker placement in relation to the amps must lay out as follows: Speaker #1 is approximately 6' from the power source, and Speaker # 2 is spaced at 14" away. My question is as follows. If I choose to run unequal lengths of cable will this create any sonic problems, or will I be safe?... The ideal of having so much extra unused cable spooled up around the system is rather unsightly.
Please advise, and thanks.
mang53
First of all, I think Bob goes too far with his ten million-to-one ratio. Only really high quality cable with great timing characteristics is forgiving of differences in length, and then who cares because you're probably not going to invest in a lopsided pair of Siltechs or Purists anyway, are you?

On the other hand, the imaging performance of unequal lengths of lower priced (IC) cables suffers more from time smearing (eliminating t/s is the main cost driver of high priced ICs IMO) than unequal lengths of as much as even 3 to 1

Pabelson, Bryston used to have a really great damping factor vs. wire gauge vs. wire length chart for their amps. And if your amp is SS and (for now) you're going to use some cheap, big gauge Monster or Home Depot zip cord, stay under 25 feet for the longer run and you're done. If you have a tube amp, however, I think the best source of info (about recommended wire size vs. length) would be the manufacturer -- who could also tell you what the best you could expect out of their units would be if you used the shortest/fattest possible speaker cable (essentially a pair of jumpers between amp and speaker). One day though, when you decide you'd like more resolution, and to give your equipment the chance to be all that it can be, your not going to buy (special order probably) an unequal length pair of quality speaker cables. C'mon !!?

This is one reason folks who like to biamp often combine SS for the low end, with a tube amp for the highs and mids, where damping control is easy even for a tube amp. And it's also the reason why those who prefer no more than one amp per speaker, are always looking for the best of both worlds, usually expressed as "The most musical solid state amp ever made!" I think the darTZeel is currently the poster child for that award.

The moral of the story is: Unequal lengths? Sure, go ahead, you're likely talking about using cheap stuff anyway, so who cares?

Want better performance and better cables? Never going to need to sell them for ANY reason? Sure, buy an unequal length pair of Kimbers or whatever (you're gonna be sorry, ha ha!)
Well, anybody who believes that cables have "timing characteristics" that are audibly relevant will buy anything. But maybe that's the idea, huh?
Hey, I remember nsgarch in some good arguments, this isn't one of them! If speaking physics, timing characteristics are determinied by inductance only. If talking audio, then we are taking moving your head a few inches to one side of center. Oh well..

steve
Not inductance only! Cable topology, and wire composition (not just material, but the stranding and shape are big factors) determine how fast the different frequencies propagate.

What most folks forget, is that an audio signal is a wave in a metallic (usually) medium. And although electricity (electric potential) may transmit at the speed of light in a theoretically perfect medium (ever hear of "super-cooled super conductors"?) an electric "signal" does not, and is very much medium dependent. What do you think the doctor is looking for when he/she checks your reflexes? Wants to see if your cables are deteriorating.