What was the first power cable that you noticed a difference in the sound?

I have bought six or seven different power cords, none over $500 and have noticed little or no change in the sound of my system. All the cables are 12 gauge or bigger.  Without talking about cables made with unobtainium, where did you start hear a difference.

Thanks.

128x128curiousjim

@ditusa Sounds interesting.  The best PC is no PC.  So did you open up the amp cases and hard-wire directly from the wall box to the amp internally, or did you skip the wall box completely and run a continuous cable from you main panel directly into each amp?  Soldered connections?  And why did you choose to use Metal Clad cable within the walls.  I can't find anything that suggests a benefit to using MC cable inside residential walls.  I'm building a new dedicated listening room in the spring and am open to any ideas that can be incorporated at the time of construction.   Cheers.

@bigtwin Wrote:

Sounds interesting.  The best PC is no PC.  So did you open up the amp cases and hard-wire directly from the wall box to the amp internally, or did you skip the wall box completely and run a continuous cable from you main panel directly into each amp?  Soldered connections?  And why did you choose to use Metal Clad cable within the walls.  I can't find anything that suggests a benefit to using MC cable inside residential walls.  I'm building a new dedicated listening room in the spring and am open to any ideas that can be incorporated at the time of construction.   Cheers.

I skipped the wall box completely. I ran the wires directly from the electrical panel and drilling a hole through the floor, ran it up to the back of each amp. Then I terminated each wire with a female IEC plug (WATTGATE 320I IEC 15A AC Power Connector Plug Standard BLACK) and plugged it directly in to the IEC connector in back of each amp...no soldering required no opening up the amp case. Hope that helps! 

On the MC cable question pls see prior post below page one:

Mike

1. 182877-120426

I have had a couple of power cords that I did not like on anything I put them on, now I just use sort of the most modern up to date cord I can afford on everything. Tho I did recently use some speaker cable that made an instant notable improvement with my little Harbie 3.0’s. From Pinetree.

I got my hands on a Shunyata King Cobra.  It was huge and sounded like it was filled with sand when you tipped it back and forth.  I put in on my Wadia CD player and I could not believe how much it changed the sound.  

The first one was Tiffany brand. I do not see the brand any more. They also made heavy brass binding posts. The Tiffany cord did not make a huge difference.

About a year later I bought a Black Mamba power cord from Synergistic. That one made an obvious difference. However, the sound was not right in some ways, like off tone and forward, etc.

I traded it in after about 4 months.