What to use as a subwoofer amp

I am currently using a nad 218 to drive two SVS+ 20-39's. Do you think I am getting the most out of the subs using this amp. I know sub amps are different, but is that because manufacturers want to put everything within the sub, or are the class D and other types better for sub applications.
michaelscott73
Hi Michael, I used to use an NAD 214 bridged mono to run a single 12" NHT Sw3P sub. Sonically, I felt this was slightly superior to the NHT's own SA-3 amp which is made to power the SW3P. However, eventually the NAD started to fail and when I contacted an authorized NAD tech he told me that running this amp in bridged mode was very rough on it.

Last year when I was looking into buying a Talon ROC 2002 sub I spoke to Mike Farnsworth about the amp powering the ROC. I mentioned I was using only a single channel of my Bryston 4B to power the NHT and he said the amp in the ROC couldn't compete with the Bryston. He said it wasn't the number of watts of the amp, but the quality of those watts and that the Bryston was very good with bass.

Speaking with Gilbert Yeung of Blue Circle and Kevin Allen one of his dealers at CES last month, they both were a bit incredulous as to how Brystons can perform so well when producing bass. The 4B I'm using is definitely much better than the NAD, and it never seems to tire. I'm sure running only the single channel is much easier on the amp than if I were running both channels to two separate subs. This is something I plan to do in the future and I'm sure the 4B won't have a problem.

From the little I've read of class D amps, they seem only suited to bass reproduction and overall aren't as good or as dependable as AB amps. They're just cheaper.

I've read good things about the 218's ability with bass, so going to a bigger amp might not yield the results you're looking for. Are you using it in stereo or bridged and hooked to the subs in parallel or series?

Good luck and happy thumping!
My original plan was to use two 214's bridged like you, but tech at NAD said it was a bad idea since the drivers are 4 ohm. I guess thay were right.
I'm running the 218 amp in stereo mode, parallel. The amp has only clipped once, and that was me trying to bring the house down. It doesn't seem to have any trouble under normal conditions, even under very loud conditions. It sounds like yours didn't give you any trouble at first, but over time it wore down the amp. I asked NAD if that would happen with the 218 in stereo,and they said it wouldn't be a problem, only if I bridged it. (this would be 1000 watts@4 ohms which is too much anyway)

Having said that, I guess my question is if a class d amp will give me more slam. Or, if a class d isn't as good as the 218, is there an amp in the $400 to $500 range which is better suited for bass?