What tier do you consider Anthem integrated?

Anthem has an STR integrated amp with the ARC room correction. The integrated teams loaded with a lot of features such as built in room correction, stable into low ohms, big toroidal transformer, etc. Would a 15 year old Pass labs amp walk all over a 3 year old anthem? The Anthem is newer and has more features, Anthem is rated class A by Stereophile review, but Stereophile seems to only give amps with phono stages class A ratings, and the Pass labs doesn't have that. So what would you grab? An older Pass labs that may have age issues, or a newer amp with good reviews and room correction? Looking for best sound, not to impress people with brand names. Thanks.

128x128labguy

Also, I'm not attached to any of the pieces. I'll sell it all off or just replace it..

@recklesskelly, I am unable to really audition much of anything that Best Buy doesn't sell. (Even then, half those guys can't get it to work). So, no, I haven't heard anthem or pass stuff, and even if I did, I wouldn't know what part was the amp and what part was the speakers attached to it. I've heard a few McIntosh systems that were nice, and a few that were "not so much my cup of  Mac stuff is pretty expensive anyway. So that's probably a wash. The Mac I liked had warmth and detail without being overly clinical and revealing. The Mac I didn't like was too warm. Veiled and mushy. As a whole. I think most of the Mac stuff I've heard was a little too warm or soft. I don't want hyper clinical, but I do want articulate,  crystal clear musical just on the warm side of neutral. The Anthem just seemed like it would be a good piece that would work with a lot of different things while offering value. If I ever decided to sell some of my equipment or upgrade. It would be nice if the stuff i had would hold enough value on the second hand market to be worth more than 3% of what I paid for it. @soix if I buy speakers first, I'll have a hard time upgrading the current amp I have because I'll spend everything on speakers and buy Dynaudio confidence or those triangle signature Delta or something else silly that won't work well with my Room. I'd blow it all on speakers and not upgrade the other stuff. I know that doesn't make sense and it's not right, but I'd be more included to buy better speakers for my amp than better Amp for my speakers. Lol. Guess I need more discipline and direction.

Also, nothing against Mac owners.. Saying it was mushy and veiled as an over -exaggeration but that particular system that I was referring to was old and not properly maintained.

I hear you on the pre-owned market, it is dog eat dog. I think I would roll with the Anthem and or a good used Simaudio like a 340i or even the 250i as they have all the characteristics you are looking for. I would say Norma also but rare to find those second hand. 

Good luck on your quest. 

I’ll throw my .02 in here. Someone else described the passlabs as being warm, lush, etc. Anthem products to me have always sounded very “sterile.” Neither is bad. It’s a preference. And I think in most cases, you’d be happy either way.  I prefer a more sterile sound than having a component add something that isn’t there. The downfall of this is that music can sometimes be harsher. I have the anthem separates, and, I love them. But be prepared to hear things you haven’t heard before. Imperfections that weren’t discernible before become more detailed. With Anthem, IMO, you just get what’s there. No color, no warmth or additional smoothness, no lush, unless that’s the way it was recorded. 

I guess instead of saying it’s sterile, a better description might be it’s just neutral. It just presents fact based sound. Anthem is very dynamic, tons of power in reserve, and You’re going to hear exactly what the artist recorded without any additional tone change.