What's your latest "Discovery"

You know when you buy a new album and it just clicks?! And then you have to play it rather frequently in the mix over and over for the next several days....What's the last album's you bought that really clicked for you?

I just picked up a Jazz trio album that is just a wonderful recording and performance:

It's called "Achirana" on ECM (that label seems to have a lot of great discs!). Vassilis Tsabroplulos, Piano. Arild Andersen, Double-Bass. John Marshall, Drums. Love the 5th cut! That double bass is right there in the room!

Also been enjoying a new classical guitar disc: Julian Bream, "The Ultimate Guitar Collection" on BMG. Great double-disc set. Not that crazy about the recording on this one, but the performance and breadth of the tapestry of work on those two CD's is remarkable.

Any new "discoveries" to share?
jax2
Sorry Slothman, your post appeared after I pressed the button at my end. I agree with your assessment of "Yr" (see response above).

Have you ever heard the actual original on Frammis records? There were two versions, a day sky and night sky cover for the two LP's. As good as the ECM version was, it was made from a copy and omitted some fiddle work that they could not get permission to use.

Find a copy if you have a way to spin LP's, you won't regret it.
Thanks, Albert. I'll check out one of the other Tibbets releases you recommend.

I realized I haven't contributed any 'discoveries' to my own thread in quite some time. Looking back over my library, a couple of recent favorites have been:

Damien Jurado "Where Shall you Take Me?" (dark, poetic, and frankly a bit creepy. Think Iron&Wine and Sun Kil Moon, but with a real dark bent.)

Fly Fly (a Mark Turner collaboration trio of sax, bass and percussion - very nice jazz trio that was passed on by a local audiophile. Energetic and accessible jazz - nothing progressive, just good jazz.)

Marco
The album "Thick" by the jazz-fusion group Tribal Tech. I really like the interplay between the musicians. In particular, I find Scott Henderson's guitar work very interesting.
Hawaiian Slack Key Kings. Given as a gift...lucky me. Wonderful solo guitar with depth. Easy listening...ain't no Hendrix. Great when you're hiding from the heat.
Speaking of guitar fusion music -- a genre I'm not generally all that big on myself -- recently I got acquainted with one of the founding fathers, Sonny Sharrock, when I picked up his swan song "Ask The Ages" (Axiom '91, with Elvin Jones and Pharoah Sanders) because I spotted it cheap at a thrift store. It grew on me steadily and now I'm glad to have belatedly discovered a guy whose name I'd only read in passing before. Sharrock's compositions and playing seem to inhabit a space of their own, conforming neither to usual rock nor jazz conventions, but one of the neat things about this disk is that the backing group is most definitely post-bop acoustic jazz in spirit, instead of the funkified electric rock-based excesses typical of the 70's fusion heyday. Sharrock himself is 100% electric of course but no avatar of soulless technique, calling to mind Neil Young and The Allman Brothers as much as Hendrix and Coltrane. Spiritually way beyond mere grooving and wanking (and assiduously avoiding overt references to the blues), this stuff is highly thematic and uniquely personal, clearly intended to be transcendent and succeeding at almost every turn. (Here's a link to the Allmusic review I read for the first time just now; they rate this album as Sharrock's masterwork.)