What's wrong? Nuforce/Capri no better than Sunfire

Preface: this is regarding 2 channel analogue SQ.
OK. I know it's very early in the comparison process, and I've "only" critically listened for 2-3 hours. But whereas listening to speakers has shown clear differences (to a point), and the move up the B&W ladder from 9NTs to N803s was SIGNIFICANT, I'm at a loss on the amp/preamp. The jump from my old $4k Pioneer flagship HT rcvr to the Sunfire TGA5200 was very significant. Less significant but noticeable was the jump from the Pio as preamp to the Sunfire TGP5 as pre. I then read a lot about how a good 2 channel pre would crush an HT pre/pro. So I got the Jeff Rowland Capri. Have listened for quite some time and struggled mightily to justify the Capri, but I just don't hear ANY major improvement. Maybe some VERY subtle things, but I can't even be sure of that. I also read that a good 2 channel amp would crush a multi-channel amp. So I just picked up the Nuforce ref 9SEv2, and I've gone back and forth with the TGA5200, unscientifically, but again, I don't hear any major difference, whether through the Capri or the Sunfire TGP5. Am I just missing "golden ears" and reached the audio equivalent of the Peter Principal" (rising to my level of incompetence)? Is the Sunfire stuff just that good? Is the old claim that all good amps/preamps should sound similar true? It just strikes me as odd that so many people on these audio boards hear huge differences and I don't. What's wrong?
jeffkad
Can somebody please tell me what's going on with this website. I can't navigate through Audiogon without a totally different website popping up?

See this thread -- they are aware of the problem and apparently it should be resolved shortly:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ymisc&1242849866

Regards,
-- Al
oh, man, i've never liked the voltage output on my sunfire anywhere near as well as i've liked the current output and i've had quite a few speakers to try them on.

they sound good on bass drivers, but not as good on the mids and tweeters, IMHO. the configuration is fun to play with, though.

if i recall, the surrounds are all voltage, but it doesn't matter as much there. the cinema grand mark ii has the optional current output for the center channel as well, where some iterations of the amp don't (i later discovered i don't like center channels on principle, but that's a different story...).

good stuff, glad you're having fun.
Sorry but I have a hard time buying into the notion that one has to be educated to 'listen' properly for slight differences, especially in this instance. Perhaps to study the subtle points of a system's character there is validity to analytical listening, but really it is when the difference is clear and not suble that we discover the special components.

I've had the NuForce reference 9s in my system for a while. They are admirable in some ways. One can't help but be impressed by their clarity and apparent speed. But, ultimately, I found them un-involving. I can see how one might prefer the Sunfire overall. The Ref 9s just didn't have what I need in a component - that ability to emotionally connect me to the music to recreate reality in my living room. Some components just have that - well, for want of a better word - magic.
Post removed 
I certainly agree that the NuForce amps are very transparent; the most transparent that I have ever heard in fact. In my opinion its a strength rather then a weakness however.

Find a preamp that you like and the Ref 9s will pass its sound. I've never used a SS pre with the amps and do not think it would be to my liking. Way too much of a good thing (clinical).

My Cary SLP-98 leans a bit (ok quite a bit) to the romantic side but I never find it syrupy or slow. I have tried it with different amps which always seem to slow the system down and again give too much of a good thing to my ear (leaning further to the warm side this time).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that in my experience these amps make component matching much simpler. The pre-amp/amp interaction is minimal.. so just pick the pre that you like and run it through the Ref 9s - you will receive a larger version of it on the other side.

There are many ways to arrive at the sound you want but this is my experience with these amps.