What's a good upgrade from a Krell 300cd cd player

I'm wondering if the 300CD might be a weak link in my system. It's musical, not strident, has a wealth of detail across the frequency spectrum, exemplary PRaT and good soundstaging (or at least as good as I can get in my highly reflective room).

All in all, I'm very happy with it, but I'm curious to hear from anyone who's owned the 300CD and moved on to something better. What took it's place, and what were the improvements?
lornoah
I have read several reviews of the 505 where the writers say it is the "best" player they have heard. Can this be done with a new transport and a new clock? C'mon guys. Following this logic the OPs 300 is better than both! Perhaps I should search out some KSAs and ditch my FPBs?
My 505 has two toroidal transformers. A true upgrade for the new drive. Krell did much more than slap a new transport in the mountain of broken Standards piling up at the shop. Eliminating an upgrade path is not typical Krell either. Don't get me wrong, I miss my Standard and will acquire one, completing my KAV stack. For critical listening, I will fire up my EVO. If they sound the same, I'll GIVE you whichever one you want. How's that.
I recently had the opportunity to listen to the Evolution 505 in an all Krell Evolution System, and it is a beautiful sounding (and looking) Machine. Zieman is right "it is in a different league than the Standard" (which I have owned).

I also agree with the others that in a non-cast system the 505’s prowess might be slightly diminished when directly compared to the very best one-box Players availabe – but in regards to this thread - for the money a used SACD Standard (preferably a MKIII) is a great deal and as good as is reasonably needed for most non-cast reference systems.
Jimmy, I have tried all the cast cables one can try. Cast can be outperformed. I've done it. It may seem crazy to invest more on cables than the machine (Tara Zero) but the improvement is once again an order of magnitude better.