What quest have you embarked on?

Just wondering if any audiogoners discovered a speaker or system they just had to have and have since gotten there or partially there.
It would be interesting to hear those seeking out vintage stuff or even the exotic ones that are pricey.
Did you feel it got you where you wanted to be?
pedrillo
Yes to all accounts! Please check my system page. From Martin Logans, to Magnepan, to Orion Plus, to Altecs.

I only need less than a watt at the speaker input for my normal listening levels during the day, less during the night.

I kept the Orion Plus though because the speakers are truly special.

regards,

Abe
To answer your question, an amp quest and I'm done.

The room defines the speakers (small speakers in a large room or large speakers in a small room are not going to get the job done). So for my small room (15' x 11') I selected Reference 3A MM De Capo i speakers. Then I went on an amp quest to power them;

up first a solid state amp, Simaudio W-3 125 wpc
followed by a hybrid, Blue Circle BC6 25 wpc class A
followed by a tube push-pull, Melody 2A3 18 wpc mono blocks
and finally to a SET amp, Aria 2A3 5 wpc.

Aria, 2A3/vt-229(6SL7) SET, Italian designed - French made,

...and it sounds even better than it looks!
i have embarked on a quest to minimize the inaccuarcy of instrumental timbre, from the perspective of a rear hall location at a concert hall.

i believe this may be attained by attenuating the upper midrange lower treble, selecting suitable tube components, and employing a speaker such as the quad 57.
yep. I'm making astonishing strides at being OK with what I have, rather than being infatuated with what I believe I need.