what is the best sounding speakers for under 5000.

looking to replace psb stratus golds. which floor standing speakers would you recommend that would be an impovement for a listener of classic rock. using vincent 236 integrated with jolida 100 cd player. best for under 5000.
vikingnick
Now for something completely different:

Per Atmasphere (and others): Audiokinesis, but....

I'd think about the sealed Swarm subwoofer system at $1700.
Add a Velodyne SMS-1 subwoofer management system at $400.

The remaining +/- $3K would buy some great speakers from Ohm, Magnepan, or Pioneer/TAD (just sticking to brands already mentioned), depending on your preference for omnis, dipoles, or good, old-fashioned "drivers in a box".

This would require pre-amp "in/out" connectivity on your integrated, so I'm not sure it would be workable with the Vincent. If it is, this approach will get you a full bandwidth system (Swarm), seamless integration of subs (SMS) with very smooth bass response (Swarm +SMS). Choose the flavor you prefer above 80hz.

Marty

PS If you don't want subs scattered all about the room, a pair of SVS or Rythmik subs gets you to a substantially similar place for pretty much the same money.

Saeyedoc - my Tempestas will not be in the pre-built partsexpress cabinets. I had some stacked baltic birch ply cabinets made to the same dimensions. it will be interesting to compare 2-way vs 3-way back to back in the same environment though.
Hi Vortrex,
Curious if you've listened to the Ikonoklast 3's from William Gregoire -- he's in the Bay Area, or any of the Tonian speakers. I haven't, but the Ikonoklast has been touted as having excellent integration between the mid/bass driver (in a TL) and the Ohm Walsh-like tweeter --without any x-over.
I'm using Genesis 8300 stand-mounted, thinking of looking for newer speakers.
Harvey
There some good suggestions made above, such as the Audiokinesis, so I am just suggesting some other considerations. If you are looking for a warm sound, consider the "classic" Spendor box speakers (I prefer them to the floorstanding models). If you want a leaner sound, the thin and tall floorstanding model from Synthesis (Italian brand) is great with tube electronics (hard to find and audition).