What Is Most Important?

What do you consider to be the most important element in your ultimate enjoyment of hifi reproduced music?

bobpyle

most importantly, it will bring you closer to God or alienate you .... we will all die and we won’t be able to take anything with us (except for the formed soul with its history of affairs)

most importantly, it will bring you closer to God or alienate you .... we will all die and we won’t be able to take anything with us (except for the formed soul with its history of affairs)

What happens to people that listen to only the devil’s music then?

@blisshifi @jasonbourne52 @ghdprentice @elliottbnewcombjr @syntax  @sns @mike_in_nc @islandmandan @larsman @fuzztone @willgolf @cd318 @thecarpathian @deadhead1000 @rsf507 @baylinor @corelli @baclagg @jl1ny @pdspecl @asvjerry @jbmac75 @dekay @aewarren @rockysantoro @roadwhorerecords @panzrwagn @robertgagnon @joey_v @sls141 @audioman58 @serjio @holmz 

A massive thanks to everyone who responded in the 24 hours since I posted this question, your comments are gratefully appreciated!

I purposely kept the question simple, to allow you to respond with your opinions. After all, your opinion is all that matters in this subjective hobby of ours.

It has been satisfying to read your responses, which clearly come from a wealth of experience. It has also been very encouraging to read that, save for one or two excursions, respondents have replied politely and remained on message.

It has taken me almost 50 years to find my audio nirvana. I say nirvana, because I have arrived at a place where I just do not want to spend any more money on trying to find more entertainment value from my home audio listening experience. What I have is not “perfect” but it leaves me wanting little more. During this time, I have come to understand that all of the elements you have raised in response to this post are important. There are many more elements that have not been mentioned, both technical and, psychological.

Everything – and I mean everything – that we can think of in the music reproduction chain can, and does, have an effect on the entertainment value and our enjoyment of our selection of music programme. Highly tuned hi-fi systems, including the all-important associated upstream and downstream elements can be very fragile and fickle. Many of these are outside of our control. My system performance is fickle and fragile and I hear it change quite frequently. Add to this, our state of mind (as blisshifi put it) and the complexity of human hearing psychology and it is no small miracle that we ever get moved to tears by the music we listen to in our home environs.

I could go on and on, but that would not be helpful to anyone. However, if, during my 50 years journey along the path to my audio nirvana, I could have done one thing different, it would have been to research and understand the psychology and perception of human hearing, at a very early stage of my journey.

Thank you all and happy listening!

BP

IMHO, the source, i.e., the vinyl/SACD/CD, etc. If the original recording, mastering, engineering is sub-par so will be your listening experience. Will a $250K system make a crappy source more listenable, probably. But combine that system with a recording/pressing that is top notch and you achieve nirvana. 

Again, just my humble opinion.

Gotta be the music.  Never forget the music is far greater than the system it's played on.  The system is just the means to an end.