What does Jitter sound like?

I keep hearing the term jitter used to describe a kind of distortion that is especially problematic with CD Players.

What does Jitter sound like?
How can I identify it?
hdomke
It will prove that the jitter with your CD player and a commercial CD IS audible if you hear ANY difference.

Excellent - if it is indeed proven then you might consider an AES paper to corect these misleading studies - that is probably how to best spread the word..
The sound of one bit clapping. Hardly an issue in modern design cd playback systems. The TI/BurrBrown chips, transports and all are from essentially the same sources. I am not denying there are design and thus sound differences-- some more pleasing to some of the people some of the time.....

Also I will admit there are other factors in the digi stream as well. Have intentionally kept my ears away from mega-buck digi-playbak systems for fear of endless dissatisfaction and upgrades for minor and subjective improvement.
"Dgarretson - Wow and flutter exhibit the same results as jitter, frequency modulation, so the answer is yes, although some jitter occurs at rates and changes in ways that a turntable could not physically do."

Interesting to find this. This is what I hear and people say I'm crazy so this helps me feel more normal.