What does a uncentered speaker sound like if you refoam and don't get the cone centered.

I did a set of Advent babys a while back. One sounds great the other has a sound like a cracked speaker when the base is higher. I can not find a crack in the paper cone so I am assuming I did not get the speaker centered. Next time I will use the tone method but wondered what it sounds like when an uncentered speaker is used.
joemug
I've had to remove new dust caps to add phase plugs. Talk about sweating bullets. I managed to do the job but you see where the old cap was. Performance wise adding the phase plug was a big improvement.

I've removed a lot of dust caps and replaced them. I've added inverted caps, sealed for phase plugs and added cone phase plugs attached to the cone vs stationary phase plugs.

It can be unsettling to take a modeling knife to a cone, BUT that is how it's done.

It does take a bit of surgical skill. A good firm grip goes a long ways..

I know this sound weird, but if it rubbing just slightly, sometimes rotating the driver and putting the widest part of the gap on the bottom and the narrowest on the top, helps. The weigh is just enough to stop the VC rub. 

I'm also assuming the driver is mounted in a vertical baffle face.

All that said, the best solution is to redo the surround, if you think it's rubbing.

Are you sure you didn't get any debris in the VC cavity when cleaning off the old surround? Take the driver back out and give it a good shake to get the crap out and see if it's centered.. Check your work.. pretty easy. 

Make sure there are no air leaks either soft seal the drivers. To find the noise use a hose and put it to your ear and listen. Be surprised what you can tell with a stethoscope. Same with box leaks. Listen around the seams and seal..

Regards
Dont listen to MC ,he is wrong again...many recone kits come with  a new dust cap and will tell you in the instructions to remove old one with razor and insert shims etc...do what old hwymec is telling you. I use a single edge razor blade to remove cap cutting just above glue line as if you try to cut in the glue line the naterial is obviously too hard
I removed the foam surround and cleaned it ready for the new one. Should be here today. But I am thinking of using the tone 30MH to center the cone while gluing it to the rim. I was told by some use a 9 volt battery but that seems to be a possible damaging tactic if left on too long.
Post removed 
1st set of woofer/coils I replaced, a thin sheet of plastic went into the gap with the coil, centering it (like the paper plate mentioned, After surround glue is dry, simply remove it.

https://reconekits.com/

2nd time, supplier’s method: simply pumping the cone with your hand, speaker on it’s back, when the adhesive is still pliable. his adhesive drying time is designed for this.

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/simplyspeakers-youtube.html

the coil/cone naturally center themselves, if off center, you will feel/hear the coil ’rub’ on the side of the gap it moves in/out in when you pump it by hand.