Wadia 170i transport experience?

Looking for input on the wadia 170i. I currently have a nakamichi av-10 and am planning in the future to get the parasound a51 and halo c3 or hdp-70. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Joe in Mobile
magsterone
My review doesn't sound like most of the 170i user's opinion but it is my opinion.
Not a problem here, Hei83. Your opinion is your opinion & it is a valid opinion. I am not trying to change it!
BTW, I do not own a Wadia i170 so it does not matter to me whether you like it or not....

Can a $200 dip and a $500 dac get the most out of it?
so, what kind of mentality is this???
Do you think that the cost of an audio product is directly proportional to its performance???
Do you think that just because it's a $200 re-clocker & a $500 DAC that you'll get poor performance from it in your system??? Do you know this for a fact i.e. have you listened to such components in your system OR are you merely regurgitating what you have read on the various forums that inexpensive products yield poor performance???

What I was trying to point out was that you did not give the Wadia i170 a chance to perform in your system. Atleast give the component all that it needs to perform before you say that it does not work for you. That's all.
Interesting finding since I tried an AppleTV (same WAV files that on my iTouch) connected thru a Toslink cable (only digital-out option from the AppleTV) to the same Reimyo DAC I have.

Much better interfase since now I can browse from a 15 inch monitor close to my tired eyes - but - not sure if it sounds as good as the Wadia 170i yet (just a few hours of listening so far).

Could it be that the Siltech coax cable used with the Wadia 170i is a better digital interfase than the Kimber toslink (optical) one?

or is it that a SS storage capabilities of the iTouch is a better option than the IDE disk in the AppleTV?

More later....
hey Flg2001

I did study about the 170i a bit. IMO, solid state creates less noise and more stable compares to the traditional disk. Also even toslink and coax are transferring the same signal, toslink has to transform the digital signal into light > pass through the optical cable > transform the light back into the digital signal. It takes more steps than using a coax cable and that might be what makes people saying coax is a better digital interface than toslink in short length connection.
Flg2001
Please let us know your honest opinion of the AppleTV once you have spend more time listening.I am undecisive whether I should go with ipod classic 120gb/Wadia 170 itransport/my DAC or the AppleTV hooked to my DAC.Also how big the AppleTV comes?I seen some 500gb at ebay.
Regards
George
Hei83: Thanks for bringing that placing some "light" (no pun) to the difference between toslink and coax, that should have some drawbacks in the audible side of the system.

Yioryos: I have not devoted that much of a time to compare the Wadia170i to the AppleTV, first impressions showed that the Wadia was a tad better in resolution and ambience, but I need at least a whole week to back-up this statement.

Regards,