VPI SDS help

I bought a VPI SDS here on Audiogon for my townshend rock 7 turntable. According to my research The rock 7 is ac motor 110 volt.

I installed the SDS with the TT but the TT motor is spinning very slowly at the 33rpm setting. I changed the default sds voltage from 72 to 115 but it's still slow and increasing the frequency from 60 to 65 did not get it working right either.

Am I doing something wrong or does the SDS not work with this TT
radioheadokplayer
Mees,

thanks for the suggestion. Once the SDS began to drive it, did you find that SDS maintained accurate speed for the TT at both 33 and 45rpm?

Mike
My SDS will work with my Basis 2001 at 33 but the table will not rotate at all when I switch to 45. I get the correct speed by switching the belt. Speed is accurate at both 33 and 45.
Mike,

Regarding your question, once I help the SDS get my platter spinning it maintains its speed perfectly at 33 rpm. I don't use 45 rpm. I will add that I have been very happy with the improvement in sound that I get with my SDS.
I had the same problem using the SDS with my Rockport Capella II. I borrowed a 230V output SDS (as I was in Hong Kong) to power the Capella, and while it worked fine for 33, the platter would slow down and stop when I switched to 45 with the SDS. The same thing happened to the PS Audio Powerplant 300. I wrote to Walker asking whether their controller could drive the Capella, and their reply was negative, stating the Capella’s motor was too big. Apparently there are turntables which the SDS is not compatible with!
I had no luck with the "gentle shove" method with a 45rpm record. My turntable dealer is checking with the manufacturer if the capacitor can be readily changed on the motor to .68 as suggested by VPI