VPI SDS help

I bought a VPI SDS here on Audiogon for my townshend rock 7 turntable. According to my research The rock 7 is ac motor 110 volt.

I installed the SDS with the TT but the TT motor is spinning very slowly at the 33rpm setting. I changed the default sds voltage from 72 to 115 but it's still slow and increasing the frequency from 60 to 65 did not get it working right either.

Am I doing something wrong or does the SDS not work with this TT
radioheadokplayer
I have never heard of needing to open the motor of the turntable and replace a part to be able to use an external motor controller. I am going to contact Townshend regarding the ease and viability of doing so?
You have to do this in order to use the Classic with the SDS, a really stunning design failure on the part of VPI in my opinion. It is not in the motor itself but wired into the AC line. The Classic is also prone to making a loud pop when turned on requiring the same capacitor to be changed. They did not inform the dealers of this problem, I had to email them to find out about it.
I had this exact problem with my Rega 25 and VPI SDS. I found that if I gently help the turntable platter gain speed (on startup) by gently turning the platter by hand--giving it a gentle shove--the SDS will drive the Rega 25. I guess the SDS doesn't have the power to overcome the inertia of the platter at startup; but once the platter is spinning, the SDS drives it without further problem. Without doing this procedure my Rega would sometimes play at a speed below 33.
Mees,

thanks for the suggestion. Once the SDS began to drive it, did you find that SDS maintained accurate speed for the TT at both 33 and 45rpm?

Mike
My SDS will work with my Basis 2001 at 33 but the table will not rotate at all when I switch to 45. I get the correct speed by switching the belt. Speed is accurate at both 33 and 45.