Vintage speakers from the 70's and 80's

I'm putting together a vintage system. So far, I've got a Marantz 2270 receiver and a Teac A-3300SR open reel deck. Looking for recommendations on speakers from the 70's and 80's, especially monitors that would sound great with this system.

Thoughts?
stratguy
08-10-09: Johnk
Altec models 14 15 19 604 9844b
My favorite Altec from that era was their model 874 Segovia. It was an oversized bookshelf 3-way (25"x14"x12"), a common format of the time.

It was a sealed enclosure and worked well on a wider range of music than the JBl 100. It was rated as 4 ohms, but I think the Marantz had a 4-ohm rating.
if you are running a marantz 2270, as do i, i suggest a pair of marantz imperial IIX speaker system -but good luck finding one.

before i found those i was running it with some polk a-10s. lots of sonic depth and clarity. good luck on your quest!
There are several great speakers from those two decades, but I'd go for something iconic.
If you want an "ultimate '70s system" AR3s, or AR1Ws with Janzen tweeters... maybe just a pair of Janzen two ways. Allison 1,2,or3s, or Dahlquist DQ10s,or 20s would also be excellent. For an early '80s system, I'd go with Ohm Walsh (any from 1-4), or maybe AR9s... but 9s really need a bit more amp. If you want to add a turntable, I'd go Thorens for the '70s, or Rega P3 for the '80s.
Cliff
Many great suggestions here. If you are looking for monitors I would also throw in the Fried Beta or Beta Signature and any version of the Fried model C.