Vintage DD turntables. Are we living dangerously?

I have just acquired a 32 year old JVC/Victor TT-101 DD turntable after having its lesser brother, the TT-81 for the last year.
TT-101
This is one of the great DD designs made at a time when the giant Japanese electronics companies like Technics, Denon, JVC/Victor and Pioneer could pour millions of dollars into 'flagship' models to 'enhance' their lower range models which often sold in the millions.
Because of their complexity however.......if they malfunction.....parts are 'unobtanium'....and they often cannot be repaired.
128x128halcro
Tried a new step-down transformer. It is now 98% hum free. A BIG improvement over the Elgar. Which confirms I have a broken Elgar. With ear pressed against the platter mat, I am still able to detect a difference between on/off.

Would other TT-101 owners check this with their units if they can detect any difference between on and off?

Thank you.     
Is the Old DD gonna grow fangs overnight and suddenly bite us? likewise are they gonna become explosive?
Just kidding guys - couldn't help it
Hi Peter @ PBN,

How's your TT-101 doing. Has it been setup. looking forward to hearing your comments and a picture of the plinth.