Vandy 2W w/o crossover

There is a gent near me who has a Vandersteen 2W for a pretty good price. The catch is that he doesn't have a crossover for it and, apparently, never has (he bought the sub used). Can the 2W even be used without its crossover? I thought I'd required a proprietary crossover to function?
aewhistory
Hello all and thanks for all the very useful responses.

Yea, I am familiar with "Dick" Vandersteen. I have met him twice and spoken to him numerous times. He used his 'amazing' people skills to convince me to sell my entire seven-channel Vandy setup and buy from another manufacturer (which is how I became a Maggie 'ho; I suppose I should thank him and so should Magnepan). Anyway, while I appreciate the feedback, I won't have anything to do with him or any direct dealings with Vandersteen either.

Alas, it seems that this all but rules outs using this sub seeing as I would need to acquire a proprietary Vandersteen crossover of wait who knows how long for the exact thing I need to pop up. Owell, thanks anyway!!
If he's been running it without a high pass filter in place be careful; these were not designed to operate for long under those conditions.