Vandersteen 3A Sig vs. Von Schweikert VR4 Jr.

Ok, I've whittled my list down to the above. However, I have not had a chance to listen to either of these yet (dealers are scarce in my area.) I value the folks' opinions on this site very much and would like some regarding which speaker they'd recommend. I have Marantz SA8260 SACD and PM7200 Integrated. I listen to primarily Jazz and other acoustic music. Thanx in advance.
pawlowski6132
Depends what you're looking for, and where you're headed with your audio system. Vandies are almost universally recognized as great speakers, but aren't the best for heavy metal, etc. They require lots of power, sound best when bi-amped with either high output tube amps or solid state with perhaps a tube pre-amp. Form follows function with Vandies, as they are not breathtakingly beautiful but image like electrostatics when properly set up. I think we're seeing many for sale now that the Quattro is being introduced, so it should be a buyers market. The VR4jr is beautiful to behold and more efficient. I understand that they image better with tube amps than with solid state. With Sim Audio gear, they were slightly boxey, a little sibilant, ever so slightly unresolving at lower volumes, but they rocked on rock music. Note that Vandies are time and phase coherent, and VR4jr's are... well you read the literature and tell me. Neither one would be my first choice, because I can't afford a pair of megawatt tube amps, and I want better imaging than VR4jr.
Ophelia
I don't know that the VR-4 jr's would be my first choice in the $4K price range either but, they would certainly be among the handful of contenders at that price range and, they image beautifully. Like all speakers, set up is important. I heard them in a 9' triange with liberal room treatments and there was never an indication of muisc coming directly from either speaker. They were very holographic with stable and reasonably precise imaging. Having said that, the image will come forward a couple feet or, drop back several feet from the plane of the speakers. Personally, I prefer the image to come forward enough to be in your lap or, drop well behind the speaker plane according to the recorded media.

I listened to them with the Bel Canto evo series amplifier and preamp. The sound was impressive.
I will mention that to my ears the Vandersteens are closer to reality than most speakers - including those mentioned here. Obviously that is personal. Point is, I cannot answer it for you, nor can anyone else. Trust YOUR ears.
Seriously consider a planar speaker. The Eminent Technology LFT-VIIIa or Magnepan MG-1.6 would provide excellent sound at a much lower cost than either the Vandy or VS. A planar must be placed 3-4' from the rear wall, isn't small, and won't blow down walls, but does sound wonderful. Imaging is superb with a natural "musicians in the room" sound that box speakers can't really replicate. Get the dedicated aftermarket stands to maximize speaker performance (Sound Anchor for the ET and Mye Sound for the Maggie). More power may be required than the Marantz provides if the room is large, but try it first. Both are very benign resistive loads. Don't be afraid to spend less than planned, that is a mistake far too many audiophiles make. I own both of these planar speakers and have heard the others in good listening situations. I would't trade, even if they did cost the same. Good luck!
I haven't heard the Vandy 3A Sigs., but I had the 2Ce Sigs. and they are no match for the VRjr, which trounce all over the Vandys. I find it hard to believe anyone would find the VRjr lacking in the imaging department. They are more transparent and holographic than 90% of the speakers I have heard at their price point and up to double the price.