VAC 160i, any experiences

Need opinions.

I am considering going back to a full function intergrated to use with my wilson sofias and was wondering if anyone has heard the VAC 160i. It has all the features that i am looking for, but not too sure how it will mate with the speakers.

mwilliams
I posted above back in Oct but have had my VAC 160 with optional MC Phono and Bal input for about 6 months now. I am thoroughly satisfied with this purchase and enjoy using it every day - no buyers remorse or interest in looking for anything else. I wound up buying a TW Acustic analog setup with Ortofon arm and Dynavector cart from Jeff at Highwater Sounds (who also sells VAC). I have a very nice digital setup with Macbook and ARC DAC8 that I enjoy for many reasons, but I have to say the synergy between the Raven One turntable and VAC MC phono is more compelling to me than any digital I have heard or owned.

Although relatively new to vinyl, I find I listen to it much more often than digital now with this system. I have never heard anything better at this price point and I think that it probably competes well above its class. As I suggested in a similar post on the Best Integrated thread, the simplicity and reduction in the number of boxes and cords is a bonus for me, but the magical sound of this combo is what lures me back to listening more than I have in the past with other systems.

This hobby is very individualistic and we all have different preferences and priorities but I would suggest, without reservation, an audition to anyone looking for a high end integrated to see if you like it as much as I do.
Jgc,

Did you get the balanced inputs and if so, have you compared to the ssingle-end inputs?

Thanks,
Hi Wig

'Sorry for taking so long to respond, but I have been away on business.

I did get the balanced inputs. My VAC 160 was a show demo that had the bal input option and MC phono option included. I was fortunate as that is the configuration that I would have pursued if I had to order one.

I wanted the Bal inputs to pair up with my ARC DAC8. My thinking was that ARC seems to have a design bias in favor of Bal inputs when possible, so I wanted to optimize system synergy and get the most out of the DAC8. I have tried both inputs with it and prefer the Bal Input.

I would say the difference is noticeable to my ear, but not dramatic, rather one of degrees. I find the combination of DAC8 with Bal Input to be a bit fuller dimensionally, smoother flowing, and more analog/ life-like, and less edgy or biting while still displaying very realistic detail, instrument separation, tone and such. A couple of examples to illustrate: It is very good at say, portraying massed strings naturally like you would hear in a Mozart concert in a good venue like the Kaufman Center in Kansas City vice congealing the sound into sort of a compressed presentation that is present with some systems. Similarly, you can hear and appreciate the foundation and distinction of the bass in a Ray Brown or Charles Mingus track, as if you were in a small, intimate jazz club vice the sometimes fuzzy or one note bass you might hear with less capable system synergy. In sum, more natural to me.

To me, it seems more like live, un-amplified acoustic music that I experience at live events with less of any digital artifact.

Also, and a bit surprising to me, the difference between Bal and SE is more noticeable in favor of the Bal input at the lower volume levels that I prefer for late night listening - not sure why this would be so, but it is my perception.

I can't say whether my experience would translate generally to all systems but that is what I hear in mine with DAC8, VAC 160 int amp and Bal input. I believe the list price of the Bal option for the VAC 160 is about 1K. Whether that is worth it, is a personal decision, but it seems to pass for reasonable in the world of high end audio prices.

Hope this helps.

Jim
Jim,

Thanks for the info! Have you rolled any of your input tubes yet? I rcvd my Vac 160I two weeks ago and have about 100 hours and another 100 hours to reach full break in.

It's a beautiful sounding amp with amazing body and weight to wood instruments and holographic imaging. You would think live performers are in your house.

Wig
VAC makes incredible gear. I have a VAC Renaissance Mk III plus 300.1a amp. Would love to step up to the Statement 450 Stereo amp tho. The components VAC builds are world class.