using a transformer to separate your gear power

I have been curious about the power conditioner component. Being a newbie, I'm skeptical. A local dealer said that an effective component within the better power conditioner is a transformer that keeps the voltage the same. The idea of the transformer making its own power (electron path) makes sense. Is this the heart of the pc's benefit. As we all know, they come with lots of neat dials/lights/face plates/macho gizmos....Could a person just locate a transformer of this sort and make a 'clean power' box?
truthrider
Rives: 6.5 KVA ??? Now THAT is a transformer. Only problem is that you'd need one HELLUVA circuit feeding it in order to tax its' capabilities : )

Martin: Thanks for responding. While we've got you here, can you clarify something for me ? If a noise source is generating interference into both sides of the AC line in equal amplitude and phase, will "going balanced" filter that out ? I think i already know the answer but would like to get input from someone that specializes in this field. Sean
>
Sean: As I said it was for a medical device (an x-ray unit). This is actually a small transformer for an x-ray unit. I did use a 220 v 30 amp line to feed into it and then had 110 v with four separate circuits and filters. 2 were 15 amp and 2 were 20 amp. Obviously, the equipment did not draw all that or it would have caused the 220 v 30 amp circuit breaker to go.
I have a 1KVA low-tech coil isolation transformer, weighted 35 lbs.

My experience is that the IT does expand the soundstage and helps the seperation of instrument. The bass can reach lower and highs are significantly smoother on my system. The overall sound is certainly clean and pleasant.

The only drawback I found on traditional IT is the slow response. When I watch those booming movies such as "Pearl Harbor" , I notice the bomb's full explosion was just a bit staggered than usually. This may be due to the fact that the transformer need a bit more time to 'transform' large power from the input to the output.

My amp consumes about 400W and the 1kVA transformer should be well beyond the amp's quest for power, but it does not seem that way.

Now I unplug the IT when I watch movies and put it back when I listen to strings and vocals.
Isolation transformers should have a 20:1 ratio to work properly which is why we generally recommend them for digital components, televisions or pre's. As an example your IT should be rated at 8kVA to avoid transformer saturation. I may be in overkill mode but, better safe than losing dynamics.
Jc, how did you arrive at the ratio that you posted ? As to being "overkill", i like that : ) Sean
>