Uprgrading my Metrum Octave DAC

I currently have a Metrum Octave DAC with an audiphileo-2 feeding it. I'm thinking of auditioning some other DACs in the sub $3000 range to replace it. I would prefer to have a one box solution, so am considering:

the Ayre QB-9 or maybe a wavelength Brick

Has anyone compared either of these to the Octave, or have any other suggestions?
linaeum66
Steve N., you mentioned that WAV files are superior to FLAC files. Can you explain why ?
Mabonn - I can only speculate why they sound inferior to .wav.

I suppose it must be due to the real-time behavior of the CODEC software in the computer. Statically, the data is not changed, but somehow when these compressed formats are played dynamically, it changes things. I have heard it over and over in different systems.

We can debate this until the cows come home, but that is the experience I have had. Also, all of the partners I have had at RMAF shows had the same experience.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
1) DC offset - almost none
2) common-mode noise - common mode noise is reduced in a diff amp stage
3) difference in amplitude between + and - signals (impossible to make these identical with active circuits) - hello current source
4) isolation of ground between DAC and amps - entirely different topic

You're right in that it's not perfect. You should also realize that none of this is perfect. Especially a transformer!

Transformers are for isolation and impedance matching. They are inefficient and sloppy. They are not extremely linear.

I've heard good music coming through a xformer, who hasn't. I just would not use one unless I had to.

Let's just agree to disagree. From a design methodology standpoint I prefer to keep nonlinear devices, like transformers and capacitors, out of the signal path, and bias devices in their linear region.

Here's a little review for you:
http://www.ecircuitcenter.com/Circuits/BJT_Diffamp1/BJT_Diffamp1.htm

If you bias this with a current source, it's almost perfect. Certainly as perfect as any transformer.

Balanced in, balanced out, and you set the bias voltages so you bias your next stage, which can also be fully balanced. Nothing new.

RM
Steve N., I ripped several hundred CDs (using XLD) as FLAC files. Can they be converted to WAV files, or do I have to rip them all over again? thanks, Matt