Two speaker Qs

Thx to those who chimed in on my last thread - very informative.

I now have two more Qs

1) How much does the speaker's finish factor in to the way they sound?

I see these speakers here (not that I am looking to buy them)

https://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/definition

And I wonder how much the different woods make a diff? Or are they only veneers, and because of that, is there little to no discernible diff?

2) With the room being all-important... when looking to buy new speakers, do high-end places (maybe for a fee?) demo some models in your house? Or do they take a small deposit, and let you bring a few pairs home with you? Or, are you left to listening in the store - granted most rooms probably sound pretty good to really good - and taking a chance that you will be happy once you plunk down your cash and get the speakers home?
riffwraith
Thanks.

I seriously doubt the speaker you linked would be at the top of many people's lists.

Well, def not on mine! lol

So, how do the rest of you go about making a determination as to what is best for you? Do you just listen in-store, and hope that what you hear there will translate to your space? Do you bring your current speakers with you as a frame of reference? 

So, how do the rest of you go about making a determination as to what is best for you? Do you just listen in-store, and hope that what you hear there will translate to your space? Do you bring your current speakers with you as a frame of reference?

^With great difficulty.^
Admitting that there is almost no way that you can easily make a rational decision is a start (but I assumed that there was).http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2009/04/dishonesty-of-sighted-audio-product.html
I basically bought a pair of Vandersteens and called it a day.
You can get:
  • whatever measures good
  • whatever the wife likes the looks of
  • or some other method.

Since I was not able to afford slick finishes when I got mine, I just went with what sounded best in the dollar range that I had available.

It is still fun listening at a variety of shops with you favourite stack of vinyls or CDs.
^With great difficulty.^

Ha ha.

Hope you got speakers you really enjoy; I would not be able to just buy a pair and call it a day. I would need to be 100% confident that I was making the right choice, esp if plunking down a large amount of cash.

Interesting link - thanks for posting.
“Called it a day”, really was after about 3-4 months of listening at a variety of shops.

There were a lot less speakers then, and a lot few good ones.

… and the advertising was not as good/biased.