Two physical grounds??

Due to construction issues the only way to ground my line conditioner is by instaling a dedicated ground rod for it (i.e. the house outlets are of type that accept a 2 prong plug). This dedicated ground rod for the line conditioner will be about 16 feet away from the ground rod for the electrical wiring for my house. By doing this would I get into trouble regarding a "ground loop".
tiofelon
Tjtrout20,

The cold water pipe is part of the Grounding Electrode System. The key word is System, which includes the cold water pipe. Check 250.50 for description of GES.
You need to go back to the book.... Only the first 5 feet from point of entrance. NEC 2008 250.52 (A) (1). "Exception" does not apply here.

I have been a little lazy and have not picked up a copy of the New 2011 NEC code......

As far as the correct size of the equipment grounding conductor for 15amp circuits #14awg copper or 20amp circuits #12awg as per 250.122 2011 NEC but nothing wrong with #10 also.
True.... I am concerned with protection from physical damage.... #10 will withstand more physical abuse than #14 or even #12. This safety equipment grounding conductor is going to be installed on the exterior of the house. More than likely by the home owner....

Code is bare minimum safety standards as you know.
Jim
Jim,
I just checked the 2008 hand book:
This 5-ft limit also applies to the replacement of nongrounding receptacles with grounding-type or branch-circuit extensions in accordance with 250.130(C). See the commentary following 250.130(C) and the illustration that accompanies that commentary, Exhibit 250.51.
I stand corrected. Not the first time! Peace T. J.
Sorry, my mistake and no offense taken. I assumed you had grounded outlet boxes. Most 2-prong receptacle wiring in older houses that I have seen built since 1960 is armored steel BX (with ground) and the outlet ears against plaster so installing a grounded outlet was... easy. I had gone with I was familiar with; I should have clarified with a question first.