tweak, do they realy bring improvement?

Hi folks, do tweaks (anti-vibration devices, cones, CD-demagnetizers, tuning strips and adhesives etc.) really bring improvement to the sound, or is it just an alteration of sound what we hear? I think a unit (be it a preamp or CD-player) still have the same sonic characteristics (the nice and the nasty ones), even if tweaks are being applied. Audiophiles are getting excited when they hear "improvements", but often those improvements turn only to be a difference in sound. In my case I think my system is sounding best when no tweak is applied.

Chris
dazzdax
Post removed 
Barry, I agree with your comments, but ultimately the desired result is the same. Vibrations, contrary to what the Beach Boys said are not good. Hospitals, labs, and observatories are trying to accomplish the same thing we are, the best environment for their gear.
Barry, it definitely makes sense, but when we're talking about *solid state* amps, for example, I'm not clear what level of distortion vibration may really cause, taking into account the real in-room resonance frequencies.

As for optical discs, you're right, but mainly due to the fact that CDP design doesn't employ error handling schemes implemented in computers, in simple words re-read instead of interpolate. Average CD-ROM vibrates like crazy, but eventually does read the data error-free, while that vibration perhaps affects a data transfer rate. (I do realize that digital audio is more complicated to read and to transfer then data due to addition of another component: timing).
Hi Nrchy,

You are quite right that hospitals, labs and observatories are trying to place their equipment in the best surroundings to perform their specific tasks. My point is that the devices in the lab are different by their nature as is the environment in which those devices are situated as compared to audio/video components and listening rooms. A stand or mount designed for hospital, lab and observatory equipment does not address all of the sources of vibration that affect audio/video components. Vibration control products that are designed correctly from the outset to address all of the sources of vibration within an audio/video system will be more comprehensive and effective than supports that are "borrowed" from other fields.

Best,

Barry Kohan

Disclaimer: I am a manufacturer of vibration control products.
Hi Elizabeth,

A "tweak" is usually considered an accessory device or a set up procedure that allows a component or system to achieve a higher degree of performance.

The basic components of a system that are required for operation are not considered tweaks. There may be some gray area along the continuum, however. For example: is an outboard D/A converter or outboard phono section a tweak if the main component already has them built in - even though the built in sections may not perform as well as the outboard units?. Most people would probably say that they are not tweaks but are upgrades to the main components of a system.

The cost involved with a tweak is not the issue. The distinction is probably that a person has to go beyond the basic connecting of the components to one another to qualify the additional set up procedure or the addition of an accessory as a "tweak".

"Tweak" is a common term in many other industries which describes small adjustments made along the way that yield improvements.

Best Regards,

Barry Kohan