tubes and analog

I just "upgraded" from a Mac SS integrated to a Prima luna dialogue 2 tube amp. The reason that I changed amps was that i assumed that the tube amp would be a better match for my Zu Druid speakers. The amp change was a big improvment for listening through my CDP....but not so when listening to my Rega P9. I had to switch to my spare SS phono stage (Graham slee) to get it to sound right. I was using a tube phono (AES) with my Mac. In Short, my tube amp with SS phono stage is not really an upgrade from my Mac with Tube phono stage. My question is.....should i consider a further upgrade to a better tube phono pre or is it simply that a change from SS to Tube amp is more "pronounced" in digital playback?
csmithbarc
Seems like this thread really got off track. I hope the original poster got something out of it. I have but not from the original question. Its been fun.

Carl
So basically Raul misrepresented the entire episode or at the very least posted
sketchy info that he had not verified. This seems to be a pattern. How can we possibly take Raul's comments as true in any of his posts?
Claiming an Atma blew up and damaged a speaker when it did not is unforgivable IMHO.
The Atma did blow up the woofer. Problem is/was the Atma was not to spec. as per factory. One needs to make sure about used equipment if one wants to keep the surprise's count down. Even then there can be a surprise waiting. Put yourself in the others shoes.
"smoke comes out of a device and then the second device poofs...must be the first device causing the problem." And in this case its reported as what happen by both parties. Its not even an assumption, just an underlying problem. We all need to be careful.
Not defending anyone, just an observation. Peace
One of the biggest fears a manufacturer has is that of a used piece of their gear appearing on the market after having been improperly modded.

I've become quite friendly with Mike Sanders of Quicksilver Audio.

Mike is one of the quintissential examples of bullet-proof designs in terms of stability and reliability.

Some of the Quickies he sees returned to him for "minor repair" are not to be believed.

He finds so much unauthorized work having been done on his gear to "improve" it, that the poor unsuspecting purchaser is faced with seeing more work being required to rip out the guts and start from scratch than what would be involved in starting from a bare chassis.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier
Well, the amp didn't exactly "blow up", but because of the wrong fuses it did take out a speaker(woofer) and I doubt Spencer wanted to continue using it until he tracked down the problem. I thought Spencer's explanation revealed clearly why Raul thought what he did and is understandable. The good thing is that this is not representative of Atma's - because someone had installed the wrong fuses - and explains why Ralph and others didn't believe it. I'm assuming nobody except Spencer knew the real story and from all outward appearances it looked like the Atma's had done something terribly wrong. Thankfully, a properly fused Atma should never exhibit this behavior and I think any rational person would admit that installing the wrong fuses in an amp is likely going to lead to problems that are not inherent to the design and could lead one to think there is something wrong with the amp. So shouldn't this be chalked up as a misunderstanding? It seems to me that Ralphs amps were not at fault and Raul witnessed something that appeared like it was. I imagine they both now understand what happened.