Tube favorites for Modwright LS100?

Howdy Friends,
Are any of you having success with a little tube rolling for the Modwright LS100 preamp...either the 6SN7's or the 5AR4? And I am sorry, but I am not interested in anything costing dern near as much as the preamp itself...$500 or more for a pair of vintage 6SN7's? Not happening in my monetary (read "happily married") world.
Thanks to one and all for your kind input and experience!
bobup1998
You could also try some Sylvania 6sn7 "Bad Boys" or some of the early 1950's Russian (Sovtek) 6sn7 with the metal base.

I agree that the new production Tung-Sol's are very nice.

Also check here for more info:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=14.0
For the 6SN7 I'd give the Shuguang CV181 Black Treasure tube a shot. These take a bit of break in time and in my experience will fluctuate widely in performance in the first few hundred hours, but the stable performance after that will be worth the patience. I do not have experience in that preamp though. You might be able to find a used low-hours pair for $150 or so. There are some NOS Russian variants that are quite good too, but their prices seem to be going up dramatically lately...I think the pair I have that I really liked is a metal-base 6H8C with round-hole plates. The plastic base version of the same tube is also pretty good and cheaper. As far as the rectifier tube, a sleeper tube in that family is the GE copperplate. You might also try a 5U4G, like an NOS Tung Sol in there as I think you can use that tube family as well.
Thanks friends for your thoughts. I must admit a certain fascination for the Black Treasure tubes, even though they are obviously a bit dear in the British sense of the term. I should perhaps not be so brash as to completely discount the reported superb sound quality of the best available vintage tubes, but is the often very high cost of admission really worth it?
I preferred the Black Treasure tube in my MWTP over the very dear NOS TungSol round plates. I also prefer the Black Treasure in a headphone amp I'm testing out right now, compared to the same TSR. Go figure. I did not like the Black Treasure tubes right out of the gate though. I think you'll find there are bargains to be had from those who don't give them enough time to burn in and just sell them out of frustration. I have not tried any of these tubes on the LS100 you own though so take this input with that caveat.
Hi Bob,

I have used the Black Treasure KT-88's and I like them very much but never tried the CV 181. You might want to try the Chinese 6N8P-J military tube. They work well in my pre-amp and they are cheap.